The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

2G 96 gs eclipse has a 4g63

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eli96talon

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 16, 2012
mt.pleasant, Texas
I bought my wife a running 96 eclipse "gst" yesterday off craigslist.I looked at the car and it had a 4g63t but when I looked at the tittle and vin on the car it is non turbo chasis.the guy I bought it from said they had swaped in the 4g63 motor.I payed 1,100 shipped to my house cause it had a bad transmission.i know its possible to swap it in but I had never seen a swap like this in person,let alone own one.the ecu is a black plastic,so im assuming its from a 98 or 99 gst/gsx.ide like to know what are some things I can look for to see if the swap was even done right or if its need more stuff to make it a solid swap.

Just look at the wiring harness make sure there wasn't a hack job done to it. If they completely put in a gst wiring harness both accessory and engine harness I would say your in the clear and now you have a unique car LOL.

initially you would be looking for all the normal signs i would start with checking engine faults, follow all engine harnesses and boost hoses vacuumn check the car out the swap is normal all cars are made the same from the factory only difference is some dont use all the options, so swapping a engine harness and ecu is not a hard thing to do good luck and sounds like you cant go wrong for what you have invested

try to look at the back of the block with a flash light and make sure you see the letters LAT3. If it says THIS means that the block in fact came from a turbo block. Sometimes people use a 4g63 n/a block and machine the oil squirters and knock sensor to make it into a 4g63t block. Some people also just use a regular 4g63 N/A block and just slap a turbo on it and wonder why they blow their engine. The internals of a 4g63 N/A block are slightly different from a 4g63T block. (WEAKER)

Yea it is uniqe who ever did the swap must have been good.all the emissions are there,but I know its not a turbo eclipse it has gs on the trunk,tittle,and the vin is also the same on the tittle,dash,and door.it came with a few goodies.greedy bov,injen intake,walbro 255,thermal something 3" turbo back exhaust,magan sway bars,accel wires.I looked at the harness and the plug for the cam sensor,tps,coil pack,and injectors seemed to have been cut at some point then just taped back together.I own a black 96 tsi and I got my wife this "gst" for her daily.her's is white.

Is there a vin tag on the firewall? I'm wondering if somebody swapped the dash tag. I've never seen a completed 4g63 2g swap. It was always cheaper to get a shell.

I second the above post to check the firewall and other vin locations to see if everything matches. its not at all uncommon to change the vin on a car for whatever reason, and yours could very well be a gst titled as a gs.

I thought there was some cutting and welding in this conversion. For things like motor and trans mounts. If so there sould be signs of that.

I thought there was some cutting and welding in this conversion. For things like motor and trans mounts. If so there sould be signs of that.

There is a ton of welding and cutting, more than than just mounts. The strut towers and lower frame rails are different. I agree, check the vin numbers on the body with the vin on the dash. Someone could of just thrown a gs dash with vin in a turbo car that didn't have a title. This would be highly illegal to do though, and the car will get confiscated likely if did happen. Every single body part should have a vin tag on it. The bumpers, fenders, and doors will all have little stickers with the vin.

Well now that does have me worried..it says gs on the trunk,and all the vins match up.the body is a 95 to 96 but the motor is from a 97 to 99 with a black plastic ecu.

Idk how to post pics off my driod but ill send them to my buddy daniel and he can post them.also I think there was a mistake on the tittle.I found about 8 vin # tags all over the car in diffrent places and they all match the same.the tittle says its an ECL model but im thinking they put the wrong model number on the tittle.

Its just a normal "gst" not a spyder.I just called the guy and asked him what the deal was he assured me it wasn't stolen or swaped/funny business with the vin and tittle.the reason I say it could be they made a mistake on the tittle was because it is also a certified copy tittle.so maybe when they got a new tittle the person who was typing in the info didn't type it in right.here where im from they type in all the info by hand then show it to the owner and if they say the info on tittle is correct that's what they send you in the mail

i might be wrong but i thought frames are different on 2g to make room for the transmission, the half moon cut out on the bottom side of the rail. 4g63 its on the pass side, 420a its driver side

Owner said the TiTTLE and vin had NOT been swaped but that the motor had been swaped.wich brings me to my next question I was outside messing with it and it has a miss.well I unplugged the cas sensor on the intake side of the cam like the one 97 to 99 eclipses have and the car didn't turn off.I just kept running like normal.I thought if you disconnected one of the crank or cam sensor plugs it would make the car turn off..allso the wires were that lead to the cas sensor have been cut and extended to reach the cas sensor on the passenger side.do y'all think maybe they took the cas sensor off the intake cam gear side and put it on the passenger side of the cam?

Curious, A friend of mine had a 2g N/t with a 4g63 engine.
The engine was identical as the turbo ( engine orientation), But it was not turbo..
Wondering if there was a gs or rs with the 4g63 N/T engine in it.
I was going to do the turbo conversion which it has everything like the turbo, But he crashed and got rid off it.

What'd you reference to check the VIN?

I'd like to see it (the VIN) either way, you can PM it to me if you like.

If you look in the picture that my buddy daniel posted up for me you can see where it has the cas sensor on the left side of the intake cam.I looked at the harness real good and I can see where they removed the cas sensor from the right side of the intake cam and rewired the cas sensor to the left side of the intake cam.I wonder why they did that and why the car stays on with only the lower crank sensor connected and the cam senor disconected.any ideas? Also it does NOT have the black plastic ecu it has the metal 96 ecu

anyone know the laws of vin swapping? NOTHING ILLEGAL, but i plan on swapping out my interior with a black dash and such and i want to know if i can take the vin tag off of my dash and rivet it onto the new dash without any legalities getting in the way.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back