The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

95 Eagle talon TSI #1 cylinder misfire

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodFarva

Probationary Member
Jan 22, 2013
Panama City, Florida
Please help. I have a 95 Eagle Talon TSI. The trouble light came on and the reader said it was #1 cylinder misfire. I replaced the plugs, wires, had the coil tested and said it was good. I swapped the wires from #1 to #2 and the problem followed. I put new wires on thinking that was the issue and the problem came back again to #1. I pulled the plug wire away from the coil while it was running and all seemed to spark ok except #1 didn't seem to fire as clean as the other 3. I'm not sure what to do next please help.

Does anyone know of a test for that part other than just replace it and hope it works? Thanks.

I have a brand new power transistor with wires if you end up needing one.

Thank you for the hints. I'm going to try one from the junk yard (I just hope it is good and don't want to spend a lot of money). If anyone else can think of something please let me know. Thanks again to you all.

Did you just swap the wires at the coil or at the plug, or did you swap the whole wire from #1 over to the other coil and then attach it to cylinder #2?

#1 and #4 share a coil, #2 and #3 share the other one. If you swapped the whole wire from the A coil over to the B coil and actually ran it to one of the B coil's cylinders that's how you find a bad wire. If you kept it on the same coil and swapped it from #1 spark plug to #2 spark plug, then you'd have 2 cylinders with misfires.

Get out the multimeter, check resistance between the 2 output posts of the A coil (#1 and #4). Resistance should be 11300-15300 Ohms, if not, replace the coil pack.

On the harness plug of the coil pack, check the resistance between pin 3 (opposite the clip) and each of the other 2 pins (to the coils). Between pins 1-3 is coil B, between pins 2-3 are coil A. Resistance should be between 0.7-0.86 Ohms, if not, replace the coil pack.

How to check the power transistor.

Delta,
I did all the tests and they passed. My one friend thinks it could be a back up on the catalytic converter what do you all think?

Unbolt it and run open downpipe to see if the misfire leaves. I doubt it's the issue, but won't hurt to check.

If #1 has weak output and the coils and PT are tested good, I'd lean more toward electrical contamination at the plug, possibly bad anti-seize, a helicoiled plug hole, electrical interference, or bad contact with the wire end. Might check the ground strap from the head to the firewall also.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back