The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

420A Bad misfire, cylinder 1 dead

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karmah

Proven Member
Feb 10, 2015
Hazel Park, Michigan
Hey guys, been messing with my girlfriend's car for a while now. Still can't trace this back to the cause. Cylinder 1 is completely dead; when you pull the spark plug wire out of the cylinder when it's running, no sound is changed at all. We've replaced the spark plugs, wires, coil pack, did timing on it which is dead on with new components, compression tested 180-190 on all cylinders. Not sure what else to do to test for anything else. Any opinions? Car has about 145k miles and is a 1998.

So Voltage at injector, new injectors, coil , plugs and wires are also new ...... and you check for spark on cylinder one ? Ignition control module ?

I would get a spark tester ... to be sure that it is sparking ..... I know you said you have new injectors but I would swap injector 1 to cylinder 3 and see if the misfire moves that is real simple you could even move plugs around and see what happens .... even a weak spark will cause a misfire.

If the miss fire doesnt move then its either mechanical or in the wire/electronic and atleast you can start to narrow them down

Put a vacuum gauge on it to look for a valve issue. if you have fuel spark and compression only thing left is air.

Good idea, you could check for spit roller-followers. Pull the valve cover and make sure you don't have any missing valve train pieces

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back