1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G 95-97 vs 98/99 engines

Posted by dsmlivesmatter, Jul 8, 2020

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. dsmlivesmatter

dsmlivesmatter Proven Member

Joined Mar 31, 2019
    hamburg, New York
    First off I'll apologize for probably posting this in the wrong spot, whenever I look at the newbie forums I can never find the post new thread button.
    Now that that's out of the way, I'd like to hear from people more knowledgeable than myself on the differences between the 95-97 engines and the 98/99s. I have a 95 eclipse and just bought a 90k mile(stock) 1998 engine to build and drop in sometime over the next few years or whenever I have all the money I need to build it the way I want. Maybe theres a post out there someone could direct me to that goes into DETAIL the differences, which Version is more desirable, and any modification necessary to swap into my 95's harness.

Street Build 223  8

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    The only difference that I know of is the split thrust washer on #3 main. I built a 7 bolt (95) motor with a split thrust motor crank, and it is just fine. I think the story is that the split thrust block is a little better but I am not the 2g guru, I run 6 bolts but will build 7 bolts, they are almost identical.

Street Build 5K  29

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    14.74 @ 117.04 · 1G DSM

1K  14

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

785  18

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 1K  7

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 6K  14  25

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.620 @ 108.460 · 1G DSM
    my98gsx likes this.
  3. dsmlivesmatter

Joined Mar 31, 2019
    hamburg, New York
    Yeah I think all the 95-99 cranks are the same, it's just the thrust washers on the 98,99 blocks.

Street Build 223  8

awd · manual · 2G DSM
    1990TSIAWDTALON likes this.
  4. EVLGSX

EVLGSX Proven Member

Joined Dec 7, 2017
    Wallingford, Connecticut
    The CAS is setup a bit different between the two.....

on the 95/96 its part of the intake cams gear assembly where on the 97-99 its located on the opposite end of the cam, and is not part of the gear. Because of this, you will find minor differences in the harness. The injector plugs are a bit different as well, still ev1 but the later are much easier to deal with as the 95/96 incorporate a metal retaining clip that can be a hassle. Then there is the split thrust factor as mentioned above.....

I believe thats about all

Street Build 2K  15

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. jimsgsx

jimsgsx Proven Member

Joined Oct 21, 2013
    toppenish, Washington

Street Build 3K  7

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. delta448

delta448 DSM Wiseman

Joined Jan 13, 2006
    Clarksburg, West Virginia
    A 7 bolt crank will fit any 7 bolt block. That includes any displacement 1992.5 model year all the way up through the last Evo 9. Some of the later Evo cranks are significantly lighter. The blocks everyone tries to avoid are the 1995 to 1997.5 blocks. Any engine can crankwalk, but those are the ones that are most infamous for excessive crank endplay. The rest of the 7 bolts are just about as likely to crankwalk as a small block Chevy. The 92.5-94 blocks have the same style oil squirters as the coveted 6 bolts, fed from the oil gallery just off the pump. The squirters on 1995-1997.5 engines are a poor design, they are tiny check valves that are supplied their oil directly from the main bearings oil supply. Coupled with a heavy clutch pressure plate, many suspect them to be to blame for crankwalk due to getting stuck open and ruining main and thrust bearing oil pressure. Later Evos (7,8,9) all have oil squirters like the 1G, but I'm not sure exactly when they changed back. All the 97.5+ blocks also have the split thrust bearing including Evos. A lot of top engine shops will remove the 2G oil squirters, block their oil feed and either drill/tap for 1G style or just build without squirters.

2K  5

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  11

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  7. dsmlivesmatter

Joined Mar 31, 2019
    hamburg, New York
    Thank you sir looks like I picked the right engine for my build

Street Build 223  8

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  8. dsmlivesmatter

Joined Mar 31, 2019
    hamburg, New York
    Anyone have any tips for looking at a used engine without being able to hear it run? I mean the guy is pretty popular on this site and seems to have a lot of positive feedback but what would be some things to look out for?

Street Build 223  8

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  9. luv2rallye

luv2rallye DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 7, 2003
    Minneapolis, Minnesota

3K  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    14.200 @ 95.000 · 2G DSM