The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G 95-97 vs 98/99 engines

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmlivesmatter

Proven Member
Mar 31, 2019
hamburg, New_York
First off I'll apologize for probably posting this in the wrong spot, whenever I look at the newbie forums I can never find the post new thread button.
Now that that's out of the way, I'd like to hear from people more knowledgeable than myself on the differences between the 95-97 engines and the 98/99s. I have a 95 eclipse and just bought a 90k mile(stock) 1998 engine to build and drop in sometime over the next few years or whenever I have all the money I need to build it the way I want. Maybe theres a post out there someone could direct me to that goes into DETAIL the differences, which Version is more desirable, and any modification necessary to swap into my 95's harness.

The only difference that I know of is the split thrust washer on #3 main. I built a 7 bolt (95) motor with a split thrust motor crank, and it is just fine. I think the story is that the split thrust block is a little better but I am not the 2g guru, I run 6 bolts but will build 7 bolts, they are almost identical.

The only difference that I know of is the split thrust washer on #3 main. I built a 7 bolt (95) motor with a split thrust motor crank, and it is just fine. I think the story is that the split thrust block is a little better but I am not the 2g guru, I run 6 bolts but will build 7 bolts, they are almost identical.
Yeah I think all the 95-99 cranks are the same, it's just the thrust washers on the 98,99 blocks.

The CAS is setup a bit different between the two.....

on the 95/96 its part of the intake cams gear assembly where on the 97-99 its located on the opposite end of the cam, and is not part of the gear. Because of this, you will find minor differences in the harness. The injector plugs are a bit different as well, still ev1 but the later are much easier to deal with as the 95/96 incorporate a metal retaining clip that can be a hassle. Then there is the split thrust factor as mentioned above.....

I believe thats about all

A 7 bolt crank will fit any 7 bolt block. That includes any displacement 1992.5 model year all the way up through the last Evo 9. Some of the later Evo cranks are significantly lighter. The blocks everyone tries to avoid are the 1995 to 1997.5 blocks. Any engine can crankwalk, but those are the ones that are most infamous for excessive crank endplay. The rest of the 7 bolts are just about as likely to crankwalk as a small block Chevy. The 92.5-94 blocks have the same style oil squirters as the coveted 6 bolts, fed from the oil gallery just off the pump. The squirters on 1995-1997.5 engines are a poor design, they are tiny check valves that are supplied their oil directly from the main bearings oil supply. Coupled with a heavy clutch pressure plate, many suspect them to be to blame for crankwalk due to getting stuck open and ruining main and thrust bearing oil pressure. Later Evos (7,8,9) all have oil squirters like the 1G, but I'm not sure exactly when they changed back. All the 97.5+ blocks also have the split thrust bearing including Evos. A lot of top engine shops will remove the 2G oil squirters, block their oil feed and either drill/tap for 1G style or just build without squirters.

A 7 bolt crank will fit any 7 bolt block. That includes any displacement 1992.5 model year all the way up through the last Evo 9. Some of the later Evo cranks are significantly lighter. The blocks everyone tries to avoid are the 1995 to 1997.5 blocks. Any engine can crankwalk, but those are the ones that are most infamous for excessive crank endplay. The rest of the 7 bolts are just about as likely to crankwalk as a small block Chevy. The 92.5-94 blocks have the same style oil squirters as the coveted 6 bolts, fed from the oil gallery just off the pump. The squirters on 1995-1997.5 engines are a poor design, they are tiny check valves that are supplied their oil directly from the main bearings oil supply. Coupled with a heavy clutch pressure plate, many suspect them to be to blame for crankwalk due to getting stuck open and ruining main and thrust bearing oil pressure. Later Evos (7,8,9) all have oil squirters like the 1G, but I'm not sure exactly when they changed back. All the 97.5+ blocks also have the split thrust bearing including Evos.
Thank you sir looks like I picked the right engine for my build

Anyone have any tips for looking at a used engine without being able to hear it run? I mean the guy is pretty popular on this site and seems to have a lot of positive feedback but what would be some things to look out for?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back