The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

92 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Drag/STanding mile project

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnTSI

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 1, 2003
Wilmington, North_Carolina
Since the journals are up I figured I would transfer my build thread here to make it easier to follow. So we will start from the beginning.

This car came to be after my previous 92 suffered from the hood not being pinned and damaging the roof and windshield. The car was primarily setup to drag race, made a little over 600awhp and ran low 10s. I was left trying to decide if I wanted to spend the money to fix this chassis or start over from scratch. I also had gotten the bug to try out running the standing mile after helping Reichen pit his car for a few years. So after doing some searching I decided to pick up Bean's all chassis from TurboTrix and start over.

So we start with the shell

101_0035.jpg

For the mile I had to change tires to Drag radials to pass tec for over 200

car2r.jpg

Next its onto building a motor, half filled 2 liter, Custom 9.5:1 Wiseco HDs, RNR aluminum rods, ARP L19 head studs, half filled block.

101_0038.jpg

shortblock.jpg

Lightly ported and oringed head, FP5r intake and FP11 exhaust cams, Kiggly springs, MLS head gasket, Kiggle HLA regulator

longblock.jpg

Ptt twin disc

jmic.jpg

Magnus Drag intake manifold (Thanks Marco!), Shearer fab exhaust manifold, gt4202R, twin tial gates, 3.5" exhaust (still a work in process)

sic.jpg

sic2.jpg

sic3.jpg

3.5" DSS driveshaft

driveshaft.jpg

dis.jpg

Solid front roll stop, New ball joints, sway bars, sway bar links, prothane bushings throughout

rollstop.jpg

Coil on plug, Magnus fuel rail, Afco radiator, Aeromotive regulator

fin2.jpg

fin.jpg

Had to change plans and switch back to a stock fuel tank for 2 of the classes we will run in, aeromotive proseries pump, dss stage 5 rear axles.

fuel.jpg

Pics of intercooler pre-install

101_0371.jpg

101_0376.jpg

101_0372.jpg

101_0373.jpg

Core is a 4.5" Garrett core, big thanks to Ron and the rest of the crew at Shearer Fabrications.

Intercooler mounted and piping started

101_0382.jpg

101_0383.jpg

101_0384.jpg

101_0385.jpg

Battery installed and more progress on the IC piping.

Bat1.jpg

upd2.jpg

upd1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Most of the mechanical is finished.

nu1.jpg

nu2.jpg

Shearer fabrications removeable chute mount assembly.
utf-8BMDAwXzAzODEuanBn.jpg

utf-8BMDAwXzAzODIuanBn.jpg

Chute installed.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMTktMjAxMDAzMTgtMTc1M.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMTctMjAxMDAzMTgtMTc1M.jpg

Ecmlink is the EMS I decided to go with, installed and got it up and running.

Car was almost ready for its first dyno visit.

229.jpg

228.jpg

226.jpg

Took the car to the dyno for the first time on E85. Car made 832awhp 567tq at 38-39psi and 13* of timing peak. Air fuel in the mid to high 11s, we will go back and try again on e98. Should have more room to grow with more octane.

dyno.jpg

Left the dyno because I though I was getting some knock I wanted to do more tuning and checking. Was actually noise generated by the gates opening. So we went back and tried again.

864dyno.jpg

Car at this point killed the oil pump. It was my fault I reused the one from the last motor that had 1000 miles on it when I should have just used another.

New oil pump installed and switch the 1.01 housing to a 1.28 housing. The swap cost me about 150rpm spool but paid big in the power department, car picked up 50whp at the same boost level. Also switched to E98 to be on the safe side.

Car made 1033hp/658tq STD it made 1021hp 651tq uncorrected and 1007hp 641tq SAE, so no matter what way you slice it.

1033std.jpg

Car I thought was now ready for the track.

So the heartache began, first I broke the shaft in the transfer case, so I picked up a test unit for the new Shep transfer case.

Next the car broke the DSS stg5 rear axles twice, so we swapped it to DSS pro series units, at that point it broke the rear diff. We added the Frontile fab diff cover but the stripped the gears off the tcase. We believe it was from the repeated shock of breaking the other driveline stuff. New Shep tcase and back to the track we went.

First pass off the trailer got to aggressive with the launch spun hard, then when the car went into 4th and across the 1/8 mile car spun badly and went toward the wall so I lifted corrected and got back in it but it had fell so far out of boost it barely made it by the time I crossed the line.

1.7 60''
[email protected] 1/8 mile
[email protected] 1/4 mile

Had I just breathed and not lifted first pass off the trailer tonight would have been a solid 9. Best I can tell boost was in the mid to high 30s.

Unfortunately track was packed so I watched 70 or so street cars tear up the surface and put water all over the place before I could try again. Left with a little less boost but spun again, and then the show started. Car ran hard left and touched the center line, I lifted and shifted then it ran hard right, I lifted and shifted and it ran hard left again, once in 4th I was just sawing the steering wheel back and forth the rest of the run. Track guys wanted to tech the cars because it was all over the place, after they did I decided it better to bring it home and change some things and wait for a better prepped track before I hurt myself the car or someone else. With all the lifting and crap car went...

1.61 60'
[email protected] 1/8 mile
[email protected] 1/4 mile

It was time for some more suspension work before we could add some power.

Installed Jay racing active toe eliminators as well as had some rear subframe bushings fabbed up for the car.

Went back to try it again, only made one pass since it was WAY too hot (intake temps 115* on the starting line). boost 38-40psi but I am a idiot and granny shifted 2-3 and 3-4 and it fell to 18psi on the shifts and if you ever drive a 42r car you know that's a bad day.

1.52 60'
[email protected]
[email protected]

Boost recovery killed the top of the track but all in all I am happy its getting faster every pass and still not turned all the way up yet.

Well went back to the track again, unfortunately due to problems at the track only got to make 1 pass. I thought at the time the car was having a fuel sloshing issue like the pickup was sucking air. Car shut off at the top of 2nd and 3rd and due to poor track condition I lifted once on the other side of the 1/8 but its starting to show promise.

1.700 60'
4.658 330'
[email protected]!
[email protected]

Because of the issue I decided it was time for a fuel cell.

rock123.jpg

rock122.jpg

rock121.jpg

Then went back to the track with the cell, blew off a IC pipe between the 1/8 mile and 330' did run a personal best 330 in the car by .3. Hit the brakes and went a 6.6@90mph, this all on a sub par 1.61 60'. But I got the information I needed, car is flat out of fuel at this power level on the track IDC went into the 120s and AF high 13s.

Pulled the manifold and sent it back to Marco for a second rail to be added. FIC sent a set of HiZ 1000s to run staged with these 2150s, so I should have enough fuel to run much more power on the next outing.

Had changed a few things on the car, here is how it sat before the manifold went back for a second rail to be added.

car2011018.jpg

car2011019.jpg

car2011001.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Got the new manifold and injector setup installed on the car and headed to the dyno. First we dynoed it at the power level it was at for its last track visit and came to 875awhp. So plenty left to throw at it, once we get the fueling issues straight.

First step was adding a second rail with 4 900cc secondaries using the Forcedfour driver box. With them added we went back to the dyno and they worked well up to the 800hp mark. After that when the secondaries opened it would go lean again, but now it was due to lack of fuel delivery. So it was time to look at the pump.

There where really only 2 options, mechanical or Weldon. And since I am waiting to put the drysump motor together and a mechanical pump on it I decided to go with a weldon 2345a.

// WELDON RACING PUMPS // 2000 HP Fuel Pump -- Weldon Racing Pumps

With the pump installed we went back to the dyno and for once the car was happy and had plenty of fuel. Last run I had a number for was a 970hp run with a 12.0 af ration at 79% duty cycle. We did make one more run but I neglected to hit the sample button at 50psi and the car logged more airflow, was at 82% duty cycle and AF was in the mid 12s so it made more power but I was done for the day.

After several attempts to go to the track getting canceled I headed to the dyno to check the tune and had added a 50 shot to the car just in case and wanted to check the jetting.

Last time it went down the track it made 875awhp and went 132mph in the 1/8 mile. Today in its current state pulling it on the dyno it made 96X at 44psi. I had the timing turned down from the track to be safe on the first run, so I added 1* back and made a pull 990 awhp at the same boost level.

Car made 1030 at 48-49psi. Boost set back to 44 psi like before and the 50-60 shot on it kicked it up to 45psi and car made 1069/667. Was not interested in turning the boost up more because I am still not sure I will spray it down the track but was happy to see AF was pretty steady at low 12s and even went slightly right at red line.

1069.jpg

It was time to head back to the track and see if I could keep the axles together. Boost turned down some, pulled out 2* and decided to roll it out.

First pass, no burnout, turns out both the tires and track where way to cold to hold it. Rolled into it and bogged worried about the axles. Car just spun to the rev limiter in every gear lifted more than I was in it and finally hit the brakes and gave up.

2.3 60'
[email protected]
[email protected]

Next pass, I was on the 2-step way to long, trying to find the sweet spot on the new clutch. Made over 40psi on the line. Knew this would eject driveline parts with extreme prejudice, let out and caused the car to front fire while still sitting still when the secondaries kicked in. Once I restarted the car and got into it to see if it would run out ok all looked fine.

It was getting late so I pulled around again. This time I decided to let it pull through the staging brake and go from there. Car spun so hard in 1st that lead me to short shift it and bog second, ran good in third then the clutch started slipping in 4th when it got past 8600rpm. Pedaled it once so hard in the log I though I shifted into 5th because it looked like a gear change. It was at 10-11250 the whole last 1/3rd of the track but I knew the car was moving so I kept pedaling it hoping it would grab. 1/8 mile mph was 10-12mph less than normal but it covered the back half a little better.

1.677 60'
[email protected]
[email protected]

Still getting faster every time out. So I was happy.

Got an upgraded pp and new floaters and discs and car was ready to try again.

Well went back for the South East Faceoff and made a few passes.

First pass still worried about breaking the rear end I rolled it out the hole was clean until I hit the limiter in 4th forgetting I had lowered it so then I lifted and shifted and boost fell to 12 psi in 4th. Did set a new best MPH though wish I has shifted and not lifted 4th .

1.9586 60'
[email protected]
[email protected]

Next pass was first pass in the eliminations, was racing STM's white EVO. Tree did something strange left us both rolling out the hole on and off the 2 step. This pass somehow my an fitting for the gates came loose and car hit 58.8 psi and 4th and was breaking up so I lifted. Funny thing is it was likely ignition related due to the gap being .030 because I was at 94%dtc and af was 12.0s.

1.8781 60'
[email protected]
[email protected]

3rd pass put me on the trailer. Only I could redlight against a 12 second car. Attempted to leave with some power this time but redlighted getting use to the new clutch, car was back to 43-44psi but was missing a little so I lifted then got back in it, did it again so I let out. Hopefully just needs plugs after to 60psi incident.

1.6268 60'
[email protected]
11.3319@114

So I called it a day. Got some new plugs in it and decided to try one more time in 2011 to get a good run in.

Went to Dragging Rights at Rockingham with the intentions of slowly turning up the power on the line. Sadly the thing I knew was coming finally did. First pass .2 seconds after it got put in 3rd gear it went instantly to 11krpm. Car ripped the teeth off of third gear. I am surprised it held as long, plan was to pick up a dog box in the next few months and try again in 2012. Tracks where getting too cold for any real traction anyway.

A few weeks later the car had a dogbox installed and has been sitting waiting for action ever since. Plan is to try it out this weekend so hopefully we can update this with some new information.

Did throw a short video of the build and first year of racing together.

1000hp DSM 2011 recap - YouTube

AMAZING............... love the build.. pictures.. commentary........ all of it! Keep us updated....... obviously youre leaving way too much on the table on the front half of the track! Get the first 8th dialed in and this car is a SERIOUS contender.

NICE

.....A few weeks later the car had a dogbox installed and has been sitting waiting for action ever since. Plan is to try it out this weekend so hopefully we can update this with some new information.

Throw that beast on a trailer and come get in a few passes out West.........Right now its 77* in sunny SoCal.....:D

Had sent my injectors to FIC for cleaning and they sent them back two day air scheduled for delivery Friday. UPS screwed up and left them in Florida for 24 hours so now I won't have them until Monday, so I did not get to race.

Heading to Bradenton FL for the IFO race next weekend so we will see how the dogbox works out.

Awesome build, Very nice numbers that little turbo is putting down for ya ROFL

Looks like I will finally have it ready to test the dogbox and new valvetrain in two weeks. Hopefully it all works out and we will be ready for IFO Rockingham on the 25th.

Well finally made it back to the track today for Import Face off at Rockingham.

A little gun shy worried about the tcase on the first pass with the power turned down, car bogged badly and feel out of boost.

2.1 60'
[email protected]

Next qualifing pass was against Mike Woeler so I figured we would put on a show and turned up the boost some. Still didn't leave very well car started missing at the top of third shifted to 4th and kept missing so I lifted completely.

1.77 60'
9.273@147

New best ET and made me #1 qualifier for FIP and low ET for the event.

Got it back to the shop and it tossed the intake rockers again. Need to figure this out or I am dead in the water.

Well finally made it back to the track today for Import Face off at Rockingham.

A little gun shy worried about the tcase on the first pass with the power turned down, car bogged badly and feel out of boost.

2.1 60'
[email protected]

Next qualifing pass was against Mike Woeler so I figured we would put on a show and turned up the boost some. Still didn't leave very well car started missing at the top of third shifted to 4th and kept missing so I lifted completely.

1.77 60'
9.273@147

New best ET and made me #1 qualifier for FIP and low ET for the event.

Got it back to the shop and it tossed the intake rockers again. Need to figure this out or I am dead in the water.

That's great. One step closer to that exclusive 8 second zone.

Parts for the next evolution of the car are building.

New Wiseco HD2 pistons

pistons.jpg

pistons2.jpg

Dry sump stuff ready and waiting

ds1.jpg

ds3.jpg

ds2.jpg

Rods should be here soon, if all goes well when this is done the current motor becomes the backup.

Well after one of what had to be the hardest years of trying to make the car work I decided it was time to change what I know was causing issues and upgrade a few other things.

Plans for the car over the next few months are....

Remove some weight, the 2840lb race weight is making it hard on drivetrain parts so we will make it lighter but able to put weight back when needed for classes that require it where I want it. We are gonna switch to some carbon parts, removed the old cage and put a chromolly cage in its place and that will cert, and tube some of the parts of the car that will save weight. Because of the classes I hope to compete in it can never be tin canned as it has to retain most of the interior plus I just could never do it.

Next with the new PP in the car to hold the power it has made it nearly unlauchable with the first gear in the dog box. Clutch is coming out and switching to a much heavier custom exedy tripple disc from Magnus.

Part of the tubing includes the front end so with all the added space I will be also switching to a FFM. And the turbo will be going to Forced to have the compressor upgraded to their billet one.

Will likely also switch to 26" tires this year as well to try to take more of the hit to the sidewall and help with traction. Lots of other small changes to the car and hope to have the drysump motor finished up and possibly swapped in later in the year. I will try to keep this thread upgraded as it progresses.

And so it begins....

frontend_zps2c0107c7.jpg

a month later

turbo_zps42e45800.jpg

DSC03560_zps251941ba.jpg

DSC03559_zps7afb1116.jpg

DSC03558_zps818f0c75.jpg

DSC03557_zpsad5a1e93.jpg

DSC03561_zpsb1ddef3c.jpg

DSC03562_zpsa4aaafb1.jpg

DSC03563_zpsf442a8b9.jpg

Next is cut the inlet for the turbo in the front end.

DSC03564_zps924f0edf.jpg

Kiggly's heavier Beehives and shimming them to his recommendations the standard Kiggly beehives where not enough.

Looking good John! Can't wait to see some action this year.

BTW, thank you for the referral. The cage install looks great.

Glad to hear you where happy with it Thai, turned out really well.

Look forward to seeing yours at the track as well.

Kiggly's heavier Beehives and shimming them to his recommendations the standard Kiggly beehives where not enough.

Ok, I think I actually read that you did this. Wasnt sure if you did any other tricks to keep everything to hold together. Really excited to see your car hit the track. When do you propose you hit the track next??

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back