The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G 90 talon timing belt idler pulley

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Grant

Proven Member
Jun 10, 2015
Edmonton, AB_Canada
Hey guys,
I'm having an issue finding a noise that's starting to to drive me crazy.

The noise is coming from the timing belt area. It's kind of a supercharger whine. I found some write ups about the same sound on 90's. Apparently it's due to straight cut gears in the oil pump.
Unfortunately I can't take someone else's word for it so I pulled the timing cover off to check for any odd behaviour from the pulleys.

Nothing seemed damaged or odd. Double checked tensioner plunger depth at 5/32. The engine has barely 50 Kms on it. I decided to start the vehicle and inspect for if the noise was more pronounced in a certain area and of course it's very loud by the oil pump gears. But I did notice that I could turn the TB idler pulley by hand. Is this normal. Tensions good in the belt. It's not easy to spin but it does with some force.
Thanks guys

My 92 does this sometimes. When I replaced the TB and everything I didn't do the TB idler pulley and guess what.. sure enough it started whining. When you ran it with the cover off could you distinguish where it was coming from or is it mainly by the oil pump? Did this noise just start? My buddy's 90 doesn't sound like that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back