1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Idler Pulley squeeling

Posted by jrpmp69, Dec 10, 2007

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. jrpmp69

jrpmp69 Proven Member

Joined Nov 8, 2003
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I recently did my timing belt and installed all new components from Mitsubishi, after only 700 miles the Idler Pulley is making a squeeky noise and appears to be wearing down my timing belt, there's blue paint all over and around it from my Greddy timing belt.
    Anyone know what would cause the Idler Pulley go out prematurely? A friend of mine told me to repack the bearings on it with some mobil1 grease and it should be fine.

282  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    13.870 @ 110.600 · 2G DSM
  2. steve

steve DSM Wiseman

Joined Feb 3, 2002
    St. Charles, Illinois
    Just to be sure, it's the fixed idler pulley and not the tensioner pulley making noise and shreading your timing belt.

4K  0

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM
  3. jrpmp69

jrpmp69 Proven Member

Joined Nov 8, 2003
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Yes, it is the Idle Pulley, not the Tensioner Pulley. I'll try to post a pic so everyone can see what I'm talking about.

282  0

4. jrpmp69

jrpmp69 Proven Member

Joined Nov 8, 2003
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Ok, no responses. I guess this forum is not being very helpful to me at all.
    Was I not specific enough?

282  0

5. steve

steve DSM Wiseman

Joined Feb 3, 2002
    St. Charles, Illinois
    Waiting on your pictures, but not anymore.

4K  0

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM
  6. 007jimmy

007jimmy Proven Member

Joined Feb 27, 2012
    Levittown, Pennsylvania
    I know it’s years later but here is a picture of what the OP was talking about. It’s happening to my car right now. Chirping noise and my timing belt is rubbing off and sticking to this pulley. I cleaned it and it came right back. When the timing belt was in a “resting” position I’m able to wobble this pulley pretty good. It’s obviously shot. Just wanted to share a visual for future searches because this isn’t really a common problem. I was kept getting told it was the blue tensioner pulley or an accessory pulley but the evidence would suggest otherwise. The pulley is a Gates not OEM by the way and it lasted a whopping 3k miles of easy driving... 4BDCCB2A-7168-4C47-BF82-B03FD42DA48C.jpeg

Street Build 1K  25

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM