The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

6466 Dyno

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pneumo

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 19, 2002
Bay Area, California
I've been tuning a PTE 6466 on my car over the past few weeks. It's nice to get back to a big turbo setup! This is the 4th turbo on my car this year. I started with a 16G, made 438 AWHP on a low reading Mustang dyno. Backed it up with a 10.48 @ 130mph. Then I got a an OG 20G and made 458 AWHP and went 10.4@133mph with a soft launch. Then I got a good deal on a PTE 6265 that made 525AWHP on the first tune at 33psi, then I blew the trans at the track so I never got the chance to ramp up the tune and see what it could really do. :cry: That was the first time I actually broke the trans. I guess I can't complain, I've been drag racing for ten years and never broke anything in the driveline. If the new trans lasts another ten years I'll be happy.

So now I'm playing around with a 6466 and I love it! This is a billet compressor wheel paired with the new lightweight CEA turbine wheel rolling on ceramic ball bearings. The spoolup is fast for a turbo this big, while transient response is also very quick. I actually enjoy commuting with the car! For raw performance, it hits 27psi at 5k rpm. This is very quick spool for a turbo roughtly equal in size to a GT40, in fact it spools up slightly quicker than a GT35 I had a few years ago.

I had the car on the dyno last week after work. I only had a couple hours to get some data so I didn't expect to finish the tune. I started by gradually adding timing and leaning it out while increasing the rpm and building up the power. I had to stop 7500rpm due to fuel issues. I was fighting erratic A/F ratio's above 7k rpm; on back to back pulls the A/F ratio would swing from rich to lean with no changes to the ECU. Meanwhile the inj DC was up to 84% on a new set of FIC 2150's at 'only' 580 AWHP. That's not right.

Meanwhile the dyno chart showed some promise.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Oh yeah,I was still on the stock fuel feed line! OK so I plugged in a full -6AN fuel line and checked the twin pumps. Fixed some lifter tick to cure some phantom knock and hit the dyno again tonight. I only had a couple hours but the results were good. 607 AWHP and 484 TQ on a Mustang dyno. Yes the chart is still a little bumpy, I have datalogs so I can smooth it out when I have time.
Also I was logging Boost pressure on the dyno, it's the pink line. I hope it stands out against the red 'HP' line, the colors look similar.

Impressive! Good job man. I like how you say "so after work I jus threw the car on the dyno for a few hours" DAMN YOUR LUCKY! LOL

Not bad. If you have further fuel issues, just run dual feed into each side of the rail and drill/tap your own return. Thats what I did with my 2150's and dual 044's and I haven't had a single fuel issue....then again I'm only on 30 psi on 93 octane on a "GT40" sized turbo. LOL. I can't wait til my local e85 pump actually gets a delivery.

I'm assuming you're on e85 with those injectors?
what AR are you using on the 6466?
and also when you ran the 10.4s what did you have for tires and clutch?
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! i want to test this turbo so bad but funds are not calling for an upgrade yet LOL.

Good #s on a MD

With this setup and in Daves hands, he has the potential for 8s. He'll be the fastest guy out here hands down as soon as that turbo is dialed in. He was on everyones heels running 6262s and gt40s and such and he was running a 12yr ld non ball bearing off the shelf GT35, and basic bolton parts and motor build.

I always said I wanted to see him with a motor and turbo on par with what these other guys are running, It's be sickening to see.

Congrats Dave!

BB 6466: IMO the best PTE has to offer. God i want one of these now! I keep bouncing between a hx40 pro and a BB large PTE. Holset cheaper but damn, thats some nice dyno numbers!!! Congrats man

LOL I hope your ready to go 150mph. Is that 33 creeping up to about 39psi? How much is left in the tune you think? Just trying to see where I was sitting with my HE351, I was at 650whp (on a DJ) at about 39psi. The tune was maxed, I think there might have been another 45-50whp in mine with more boost, tho.

Do you have regular wiseco's or 1400hd's? If you have standard ones be careful with it.

We have made over 800whp and miles upon miles of LSR racing through basic Wiseco's and Ross pistons.

Thanks everyone! The car was fun on this mornings commute. :)

Not bad. If you have further fuel issues, just run dual feed into each side of the rail and drill/tap your own return. Thats what I did with my 2150's and dual 044's and I haven't had a single fuel issue....then again I'm only on 30 psi on 93 octane on a "GT40" sized turbo. LOL. I can't wait til my local e85 pump actually gets a delivery.

Thanks for the tip on the dual fuel rail inlets, I might have to do that when it's time to turn it up more. Right now I'm using two Walbro 255's in the tank. There might be room to squeeze in a Walbro 450 alongside the 255, but it looks like a tight fit through the tank opening.

Very sweet. Good luck with the gremlins. What exactly did you do to the lifters to quiet them down?

To quiet the lifters I removed the rare 'JDM' style oil distribution block in the head and replaced it with a standard type unit. It was simply lowering oil pressure to the lifters and the big cams/springs were hammering down a few lifters after the car got hot and oil pressure came down.

I’m assuming you’re on e85 with those injectors?
what AR are you using on the 6466?
and also when you ran the 10.4s what did you have for tires and clutch?
Thanks!

Yes, I've been using E85 for a few years. Luckily it's readily available in my area. My main fillup location is only 2 miles out of my way on my commute. I just have to plan ahead since it's 50 miles a day to work and back, and the Talon usually gets 14 MPG!
The hotside AR is .82
When I ran 10.4 on the 16G and 20G I was using M+H slicks 24.5" tall on 15x7 Rota Slipstream and a PTT twin disc clutch with a 2G slave cylinder to ease the pedal pressure. (Thanks for the tip, Alvin!)

LOL I hope your ready to go 150mph. Is that 33 creeping up to about 39psi? How much is left in the tune you think? Just trying to see where I was sitting with my HE351, I was at 650whp (on a DJ) at about 39psi. The tune was maxed, I think there might have been another 45-50whp in mine with more boost, tho.

Do you have regular wiseco's or 1400hd's? If you have standard ones be careful with it.
I'd love to get over 150! It'll be close, we'll find out as soon as the weather cooperates. I think my current setup is close to max. I'm seeing air temps rise a little quick, fuel supply seems nearly maxxed since I'm seeing 78% duty cycle at 12.2 AFR. Besides, I'm happy with it right now. I think I'll just fine tune it so it runs clean since the next event is just over two weeks away. I don't like to make major changes too close before an event. Yes I'm using standard Wiseco's and I worry about the pins. I should be OK as long as there's no odd glitch in the tune.

The boost curve keeps climbing, and I like it that way. If I tried to hit 38psi at 5500 rpm the torque would be so high I'd risk breaking the trans again, and I just paid for this rebuild. I'm sure 530 Ft-lbs would feel great, but I want to keep all the shiny parts inside the car for a little while.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that likes "boost creep" I have mine setup with a bcs and my snippet of code butchery, so that it comes up to about 30-33, then creeps up from there. I tried to do it mechanically with a stop on the flapper, but it didn't work to good.

I'm kinda surprised that that turbo doesn't make more at the boost, but like you said that dyno reads low, so get to the track so we can see the traps!! I'm kinda considering a 6266 or a 64mm wheel HX40 for when I'm ready to take my car off DD status.

Yeah if the pins are new I wouldn't worry too much. Just pay attention to it. Mine started making a funny ticking that I dismissed as noise from the twindisc.

Are you running SD with this or a maf?

Running native SD.
Dyno was done in 3rd gear. I may do a 4th gear pull next time just so the tires hook up better. The first couple pulls I did were spinning the tires when the torque hit. I had to cruise in 5th for a few minutes on the dyno to warm up the tires. Or maybe I'll install a tow hook in the back so I can strap it down and pull down on the back end better.
This dyno was tested against a couple local Dynojets and consistently reads 13% lower. So my 607 would be roughly 685 on a DJ.

Happy New Year!
Here's a nice underhood shot of my current setup.

I just bought my 6466 in the v-band housing! Can't wait to see what this thing can do, hopefully this will be the ticket to go 9's on the stock block!

So far I've gone 146mph this year. The ET hasn't been good yet. I just finished building a full cage in the car so I can hit the track soon and ramp up the tune even more.

is amazing turbo mi car v.82 cp 9-1 c16 39 psi falling to 36 little precision intercooler 2.5 hot piping

is amazing turbo mi car v.82 cp 9-1 c16 39 psi falling to 36 little precision intercooler 2.5 hot piping

Dude that hp curve is very nice! What clutch set up are you running? I have been longing for one of these turbos for a while I surely hope when my engine is done the comp unit can deliver like the pte units;)

Dude that hp curve is very nice! What clutch set up are you running? I have been longing for one of these turbos for a while I surely hope when my engine is done the comp unit can deliver like the pte units;)

I was just reading your profile although in probation status you seem to know what you are doing:applause: Nice work on the car by the way I got my answer in the previous post by visiting your profile:thumb:

So far I've gone 146mph this year. The ET hasn't been good yet. I just finished building a full cage in the car so I can hit the track soon and ramp up the tune even more.

Pneumo just curious is your profile up to date;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back