1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

6 BOLT RODS AND PISTONS

Posted by CrazyGSX, Sep 17, 2019

Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. CrazyGSX

CrazyGSX Proven Member

Joined Feb 13, 2004
    Waterford, ON, Canada
    I'm researching 6 BOLT RODS AND PISTONS for my 4g63 I'm going to make 650AWHP in my 2G 99 GSX
    of STREET uses and time attack uses. i have been boggled and confused mostly about RODS.
    Aluminum Connecting Rods: are they street able or are drag only? i been tolled both by people that say one or the other. I'm boggled by this, but it is what it is. I'm hear to find out what it is and is not.

i know Aluminum rods stretch .010" or .0010" i can remember witch but thats not big deal.
    aluminum rods wear out the same time as your pistons. and let bearing live longer.
    lighter then steel rods.

what is the lightest piston that is forage or billet. and whats the different about them, whats there uses between the both.

real street has a big video about Aluminum Rods you should check out and be as boggled as i em its on youtube

2. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    You can do 500 on stock rods and pistons 650 is probably doable with H-beams and over that I would use I beam rods.

Street Build 3K  26

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM

249  13

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

359  17

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 515  4

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 5K  11  25

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.620 @ 108.460 · 1G DSM
  3. biglady112

biglady112 Proven Member

Joined May 20, 2004
    Commerce City, Colorado
    Lighter is not the right answer. It never will be in a blown application.

Piston-
    Arias

Steel rod-
    Manley I beam or Pauter if you can afford it.

Aluminum-
    GRP. We have seen long life cycles from these rods.

1990TSIAWDTALON likes this.
  4. donniekak

donniekak DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 23, 2008
    Surprise, Arizona
    Do not use aluminum rods for time attack or other circuit racing. I have personally seen engine braking stretch them so the pistons were hitting the head.

Pretty much any aftermarket piston and h beam rod will meet your needs.

Street Build 3K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
    1990TSIAWDTALON likes this.