The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

6 bolt head 7 bolt block. timing differance??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadow001dsm

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 26, 2009
las vegas, Nevada
k i put a a 6 bolt head on a 7 bolt block with 7 bolt cams? i have 0 compression accross the board but i have fuel and spark is the timing different when i mix the head and block?

Did you verify your mechanical is set right after rotating the crank at least 6 times to see if everything lines back up? Also, you were better off keeping the 7 bolt head on the block as the 7 bolt flows better. People are even swapping out 6 bolt heads in place of a 7 bolt head on their 6 bolt swaps.

Did you verify your mechanical is set right after rotating the crank at least 6 times to see if everything lines back up? Also, you were better off keeping the 7 bolt head on the block as the 7 bolt flows better. People are even swapping out 6 bolt heads in place of a 7 bolt head on their 6 bolt swaps.

Its a 1g 7 bolt not a 2g

it is a 1g 7 bolt, and i swaped the heads because the 7 bolt head bent a valve or 2. and no i have not checked the mecanical yet. but i timed it like you normaly would, but does the 6 bolt head make it different?

it is a 1g 7 bolt, and i swaped the heads because the 7 bolt head bent a valve or 2. and no i have not checked the mecanical yet. but i timed it like you normaly would, but does the 6 bolt head make it different?

No it doesnt make a difference. Its still the same setup and procedure. I think you have more problems than the timing being off if you have 0 cmpression on all 4.

Timing being off a couple teeth can cause 0 compression due to valves being open.

yeah its 0 compression on all 4 cylinders. but the rings are fine and the gaskets are ok. the head was seated properly and torqued in sequence to 72 lbs. any ideas?

i was thinking that, im about to re-time it and see what happens, also i thought that maybe the cam position sensor got rotated 180 deg. not sure how to tell though.

The sensor won't cause 0 compression, that will just give you a hard time to start if it even starts at all as the signal will be 180* out from what it should be for firing order.

true, do you have any ideas on what would cause 0 compression? other than timing?

That's too much torque for an OEM 7-bolt head bolt. Per the FSM, the torquing procedure is as follows:

• Tighten to 58 ft. lbs in this order:
    7 5 2 4 10
    9 3 1 6 8​
  • Loosen them fully in the reverse order:
    4 6 9 7 1
    2 8 10 5 3​
  • Tighten in the order first shown to 14 ft. lbs.
  • Apply a 1/4 (90 degree) clockwise turn to each bolt.
  • Apply another 1/4 (90 degree) clockwise turn to each bolt.

Did you verify the 6-bolt head was okay before installing it? I would suggest rechecking the timing or performing a leak down test to find out just where the air is escaping to.

Last edited:
The head is perfectly fine i just had it had tanked and port and polished right before the install. and could too much torque cause 0 compression though?

If the head bolts stretched and the head now lifts off the block, yes, it could, though I don't believe it to be the case here. Stop speculating and check your timing as that is the easiest thing to check and the most likely cause -- and I mean that in the most respectful way.

LOL i like your thinking, i already have it jacked up and the timing plate cover off, matter of fact i have the laptop next to me as im working on it right now.

Timing being off a couple teeth can cause 0 compression due to valves being open.

If it was off several teeth, and valves were open, wouldnt they be making contact with the pistons? Ive had it off 1 tooth and not had damage but several teeth, i dunno about that

not if the timing was 180* out

Id really hope you wouldnt post this thread without looking at the cam gears first. I didnt mention being 180 out cause i figured it was a given you checked that already.

i did, i timed it like it should be but it never hurts to double check my work. and checking the timing is faster than any of the other possible problems. accidents happen. i guess we will find out within the hour if it was timing or not.

and i only mentioned the 180* out just to show it is possible for it to not hit valves like the other gentlemen above mentioned.

If it's off a little the valves can open pre maturely causing a loss in compression without valve to piston contact.

i think thats the part i might have forgot, i realy cant remember if i did that or not, thats why im second guessing my timing.

There's no such thing as being 180° off in cam timing...

the timing was off at the crank,( i timed it thinking it was a 92 block but it was a 94) so i retimed it and took another comression test, and there is still 0 compression. im thinking that the other gentlemen up there is right and i over torqued the head bolts, so they are streched and i need new ones. any thoughts guys?

it is also blowing gases out of the oil cap hole.

did the leak down test and air kept coming out of the oil cap so i took the valve cover off and the air was slipping by the bolts for the head.

There's no such thing as being 180° off in cam timing...

Wrong. If you have the cam gears with the dowel pins pointing down, its 180 out.
I def didnt think timing was why you were getting 0 compression though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back