The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G 6 bolt balance shaft belt tensioner

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serviceguy

20+ Year Contributor
May 11, 2002
Clifton, New_Jersey
I did my timing belt maybe 10 years ago and never gave this a thought, but this time after installing the front balance shaft belt tensioner back on I realized that I did not mark how the old one was installed so went to the TSB for reference. And here it gets weird. The TSB shows pictures of the tensioner installed with the flange next to the front case. Needless to say I had it installed backward, but it did not look right the other way. So I went to the parts diagrams and little I know, it shows the flange next to the timing cover instead. Now, even more freaked out I go to the FSM and it says to make sure the flange is close to front of the engine. Well, I finally googled it and half the pics I found show the tensioner with the flange next to the front case (see first pic) while the other half show the flange next to the timing cover (second pic).

May have something to do with the brand? Mine came in a Gates kit but it looks exactly like stock. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Front case side:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Timing belt cover side:

I can see how that might be misinterpreted. The balance shaft belt tensioner flange is meant to be on the timing belt cover side, not on the front case side. Every diagram in any DSM service manual shows the flange towards the timing cover side.

The FSM states the flange is to be placed "toward the front of the engine". We all know the belts side is the front and the flywheel side is the back/rear. So if one moves from the rear to the front, than the tensioner being oriented with the flange "towards the front of the engine" makes perfect sense and puts the flange away from the rear of the engine.

Its been awhile but I thought it only went one way. If you tried it backwards it would hit the case and not turn?

Brian, thanks for the clarification. While I try my best, English is not my first language hence the misunderstanding. When trying to find a visual answer to my doubt I found the first picture that I posted. On top of that I saw the same on the VFAQ Timing Belt TSB so here I am. I bet that picture is from a 92-94 or 2G, my 91 conveniently shows only front views! Well, other than in the ASA/CAPS parts diagram.

Paul, that maybe the case. I have it already on, under tension and torqued down, the timing belt sprocket already bolted back on. That prompted me to ask so I could avoid to take everything of once again if it wasn't necessary.

Thanks everybody for the feedback, I really appreciated.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back