The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

6 bolt balance shafts delete?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colinssweeney

Probationary Member
Dec 30, 2021
Calgary, AB_Canada
Hey I know a lot of people do balance shaft deletes on 7 bolts because of the crank issues. Is it also normal to delete the balance shafts on a 6 bolt? If they are removed does it cause issues?

Well, the balance shafts are there to eliminate several vibration harmonics that come from the rotating assembly, so with the shafts removed the engine is often described as "more buzzy".

I did this on my 6-bolt and while that is noticeable, I have been very happy- the smaller timing belt (b-belt) behind the main (just to run the front balance shaft) is a real reliability headache. It is the first to get soaked in oil from a bad seal, it's tensioner sucks, and more often then not it is this smaller belt that fails, tangles in the main timing belt and your valves are lost.

Removing the balance shafts also removes a fair amount of rotating friction and rotating mass from your engine, freeing it to rev faster and deliver more power to the wheels. It is not a modification for an amateur- there is a cam style bearing for one of the balance shafts that has to be pulled and rotated or the oil passage way otherwise blocked. A special aftermarket oil pump is required, often offered as part of a kit to do this.

There is lots of information on the forum and VFAQ on this mod.

I've done balance shaft deletes on just about every 6 and 7 bolt engine I've built, and never had any issues, and the extra vibration was nearly unnoticeable, even with poly mounts.

No issues at all, and you don’t need a special case either. You can cut the balance shaft that runs the pump a little past so it hangs out and do one of two things 1) just use a longer bolt for the gear that blocks the hole beneath the gear on the shaft 2) drill and tap the hole on the cut shaft and block it off with a threaded plug.

The rest is standard BSE procedure. I’d honestly recommend it for every build. If you’re that worried about vibration you need to buy a Lexus or Caddy. Or you shouldn’t be modifying cars.

Also: higher oil pressure can be relieved by porting the relief valve on the OFH.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back