The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

$5k engine build give opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spln_Hrd

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 20, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska
My goal is 600 horse power and turning 9000 rpms at the track about 10 times a year, and 400+ hp 8500 rpms on the street as often as I can drive the car.

Here is what I had in mind
Eagle stroker kit: eagle crank, h beams, and weisco pistons.
ARP everything, with linebore on the mains.
ferrea comp 6000 valves, ferrea titanium springs/retainers(single spring), ferrea copper guides, hks 272's(or 280's) and 3g lifters.

I would like some opinions on if this will meet my goals, I am concerened I may need stock stroke to run those rpms, does anyone know of a place I can get crank rods and pistons for about 1800?

try ffwd...they make butcher cranks and some wicked aluminum rods that are sick...

I would suggest staying away from the aluminum rods, the eagle H-beams will work great for your setup. One more thing to think about when reving a motor to 9k is the stress that it puts on the internals. Main bearings have been know to wear badly in a motor with such stress. I went with a main bearings girdle brace from www.kigglyracing.com in my new motor, go on their site and it will explain more with pictures about what I'm explaining. Make sure that the Ferrea valve springs can hold up to those RPM's as well. Good luck with the build.

Id go with skat rods over eagle, they have an extra oiling hole under where the piston pin is like the stock rods, eagles dont have em. Just something to consider, every bit helps at 9k.
Looking into ffwd's butcher crank is a good idea, a lightweight rotating mass is good to have if you are going to spin the motor that high. Pistons are up to you, it really depends on what c/r you want to run and what gas you are going to be using for the car. FFWD also has good head combos. The one with the dual valve springs (the street/strip head) should do you well. Go with some DKS or HKS 280's (might as well go DKS if you are going to get the ffwd head).

One last thing, id stay with a 2.0 if you want to live that high in the rpm range, the piston speed on a 2.3 revving that high is not very good. 2.3's are generally for people that dont want to shift too high to save their trans some stress... are you going to get a built trans (or do you already have one?) to handle shifts that high?

I would suggest staying away from the aluminum rods, the eagle H-beams will work great for your setup. One more thing to thing about when reving a motor to 9k is the stress that it puts on the internals. Main bearings have been know to wear badly in a motor with such stress. I went with a main bearings girdle brace from www.kigglyracing.com in my new motor, go on their site and it will explain more with pictures about what I'm explaining. Make sure that the Ferrea valve springs can hold up to those RPM's as well. Good luck with the build.

Thanks a bunch, I couldn
t figure out how to add rep points to you but I think the griddle would be a nice peice to add to my buildup.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back