The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

50 trim options, please post your opinions and/or experiences

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBstar

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 1, 2004
Jackson, Michigan
Well I've narrowed down the list to either a 20G or a 50Trim setup. The 20G's are getting older but they're still a good proven turbo. The 50 trims have been around for a while now and are probably one of the favorites around this site. However, with so many different options for 50 trim turbo's how am I supposed to know which one I should go with? I've compiled a short list of some of the 50trims I've seen on the market. Add more if you so choose.
SBR G50
AGP RS49T
PTE SCM-5031E
Turbonetics T04B or T04E 50 trims
Buschur Racing BR500 (I believe this is a 50trim correct me if I'm wrong)
FP Green (definately a favorite but definately more expensive then most as well)
And I'm sure there are more including various T3/T4 setups. So if anyone has any info or opinions on any of these it would be appreciated.

20gs are good turbos but they go for what? Like 800 bucks? 50 trims perform as good if not better than 20gs and are around 650 bucks.

This is one I highly recommend

http://www.bullseye-power.com/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=68

I have been to there shop and the guys there were really cool gave me a tour of the shop and stuff there turbos are totally built in house. Plus for an extra 69.00 you get a 2 year warranty, bring it in they rebuild it for you. No BS

My cousin bought a 60 trim from them the turbo blew up after 5 miles because he forgot to unclog his inline oil filter to the turbo when he just put in a new motor. Brought it back to bullseye they built him a new 60 trim in front of him in like 15 minutes.

If you go the 50 trim I would suggest not getting a bolt on T3/T4 versions, Ive heard/seen bad results from various people including friends. They just don't seem nearly as efficient as a full Garrett version or a FP Green, less reliable and harder to tune. One friend I helped tune had nearly the same setup as mine (check profile) with the only real difference being full Garrett vs. AGP RS49, the full Garrett setup consistently flow ~3 lbs/min more air before getting knock (same tuning style used on both cars).

I have an AGP/SFP full Garrett 50 trim kit with a .63 A/R turbine housing and I guess you could say I'm happy, for now. Ive nearly maxed out the turbo and even though it still needs a better tune, I feel theres still allot to be desired, but maybe I'm just crazy. As for the quality of the kit, I would definitely reccomend it.

Regards,
Andrew

The AGP on the bullseye housing is my recomendation...

Run about 8.5:1 compression....

Just do what andre did..

I have a TDO6 20g on the way as we type :thumb: I'll post a review as soon as i install it and get it dynoed. A lot of people dog on the 20g for its price but i firmly believe you get what you pay for. The 20g has been around for so long its like peace of mind you know it can run 10's if you push it and its going to be an awesome daily driven turbo IMO.

MNGSX said:
The AGP on the bullseye housing is my recomendation...

Run about 8.5:1 compression....

Just do what andre did..

you mean the RS49T Turbonetics Bolt-on???

Steve Hebert said:
Good question - I am in the same boat.

Comments anyone

more comments too,esp because im fwd.. i do plan getting a lsd and a longer 5th gear for super autobahn runs

i was thinking rs49t.

Eclipsei95cl said:
20gs are good turbos but they go for what? Like 800 bucks? 50 trims perform as good if not better than 20gs and are around 650 bucks.

I have been to there shop and the guys there were really cool gave me a tour of the shop and stuff there turbos are totally built in house. Plus for an extra 69.00 you get a 2 year warranty, bring it in they rebuild it for you. No BS

My cousin bought a 60 trim from them the turbo blew up after 5 miles because he forgot to unclog his inline oil filter to the turbo when he just put in a new motor. Brought it back to bullseye they built him a new 60 trim in front of him in like 15 minutes.

Are the bullseye turbos still 270* thrust or are they 360* now?

Nate
SBR

Well keep the opinions coming, Now alot of people are saying to go full Garrett. SBR and PTE use Garret cores, so whats the difference? Just the compressor housing really right? So why do I see posts nocking both the PTE and the SBR G50?

I did have a PTE internally gated turbo a 50 trim which went with less then 5000 km on it. It seems there have been quite a few failiers with them after I spent some time searching. Its also right now a nightmare to get anything done to it and it may or may not be under warranty with less then 5000 km on it. Mine spit the Bearings. I since swapped it for my current setup and I have been beating on it and I have over 5000 km now no probs so far.

Performance difference though is quite noticeable over the other setup in my case quite a bit more BUT I did do alot more to my car then just change the turbo but my turbonectics turbo definatly spools faster then my PTE one and it comes on alot harder. To each his own but after my PTE turbos early failier and terrible customer service I would not buy another of their turbos. Im sure people have had turbonectics failiers as well but after seeing the abuse dsmjims car took I am very confident in this setup.

SBstar said:
Well keep the opinions coming, Now alot of people are saying to go full Garrett. SBR and PTE use Garret cores, so whats the difference? Just the compressor housing really right? So why do I see posts nocking both the PTE and the SBR G50?
A better designed manifold and turbine housing makes a difference.

my opinion, either get the 20G (what I'm getting right now) or a FP green, if you going to do t3/t4, go all out, I havent seen any good results from these bolt on t3/t4 kits yet. If you want to go t3/t4 spend the money and go full garrett and get a manifold and all.

I'm starting to lean towards the FP 3052 actually, I've read alot of good stuff on it and the 3065 (but that ones a little big for my setup), Being its a ballbearing turbo and all it'll be better on spoolup and it costs the same as the green. Any suggestions or comments on that turbo?

GREAT CHOICE! the FP 3052 and 3065 are great turbo's, yes you are right about the price of the turbo's alone, but then look at the ass end of the FP 30's they use V-band style clamps, so while a green or red will bolt up to your exsisting O2 housing, the FP 30's you will most likly have to buy FP's O2 housing and wastegate unless you can find someone to make a custom piece for you. As far as companies go, I'd definatly go with FP, I know quite a few guys, one running a 60-1 and the other a red and they love them and never had any problems.

I'm not to worried about spending extra on the FP's O2 housing for the 3052, I have absolutely fallen in love with this turbo. I've been reading specs on it and it totally blows the 50 trim away. (in my opinion please don't flame me). I've read some good times, heard about great spoolup, etc... on this turbo. Keep the 50 trims coming too though. I haven't totally given up and its interesting to see peoples ideas.

almostquick said:
my opinion, either get the 20G (what I'm getting right now) or a FP green, if you going to do t3/t4, go all out, I havent seen any good results from these bolt on t3/t4 kits yet. If you want to go t3/t4 spend the money and go full garrett and get a manifold and all.

very, very good info here. Green or td06-20g for bolt ons.... both will go EASY 11s.

if you want garret, go stage III .63 50 trim with the appropriate manifold for a scary street car. In theory, this setup will be faster than either of the two listed above as the garret hot side will flow WAY more than either of the mitsus.

-d

gimmie11s said:
if you want garret, go stage III .63 50 trim with the appropriate manifold for a scary street car. In theory, this setup will be faster than either of the two listed above as the garret hot side will flow WAY more than either of the mitsus.

-d

:thumb: :tease: :rocks:

Eclipsei95cl said:

I agree w/ this 50 trim turbo. I love Bullseye, there turbine housing is top notch, and the oil feed and filters are A+ qualitly, no half ass shit like my Turbonetics/ SBR turbo has.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back