The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

48 miles on brand new wheel bearings and passenger one is shot.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Widow97

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 2, 2010
Oxbow, North_Dakota
Well, I have less than 50 miles on brand new Timken wheel bearings and my passenger side one is shot already. :notgood: I noticed it was bad when I backed the car out of the garage today and heard a knocking noise from the passenger side. Is there something else I should be looking for that could have caused the bearing to go out already? Or could it be just a shitty bearing? The old bearing was fine after 55k miles. The only reason I replaced it was because I had to replace the drivers side bearing and I wanted to be thorough. Any input is appreciated. :)

You are correct. I wanted to at least get the engine broken in before I had it aligned. Alignment was next on the list.

Another bit of info that might help is that I did some pretty hard stops last night to break the new brakes in. They got pretty hot when I was doing that, the ceramic brake in coating was smoking when I was doing that.

that should not kill a wheel bearing.

question is, where did you get them?? the ones sold at advance and other similar stores are hit or miss.
i just put a new alt from advance on my car, and 300 miles later, the voltage reg. in the alt. went bad, and boiled over my battery!. i have had a few defective wheel bearings from the local parts stores' also.

I got them on ebay :coy: I figured if I got some expensive name brand ones on ebay they would be alright. Guess I was wrong.

ok, when you put c.v shaft back in, did you make sure the nut actually tightened up? cause of the nut stayed loose any, this kills the hubs quicky.

i have read that say, if you pull your trans and take out c.vs, that it is not good to move the car at all without the shafts in and tightened up

Shaft was tight with pin still securely in place. That was the first thing I checked hoping it would be an easy fix. The car didn't even have a cv shaft for the majority of the time. It also was only moved twice the entire time I owned it until I got it running on Thursday. And it only moved about 50 yards tops each time. Other than that, the front has been on jack stands up until last week.

I seen this thread corey and for some reason I knew I should look at it..Good thing you told me about it..

You can get wheel bearings at the local auto parts stores that work just fine..I was just told by a freind who happens to be a mechanic, that he did a wheel bearing on a 91 gst..Got it from his auto parts dealer..And held up just fine..

Two sad things about that story..The gst jumped timing and bent some valves..And the second part of that story the guy wouldn't sell me the gst:(..

if you moved the car that much with no c.v shaft in, that COULD of killed the new bearings.
OR...................... it could of seperated the bearing some, that when you tightened it, then drove it, it atcually pressed it back together once you drove it .go out and remove the pin, and try to retighten it again. report back the outcome

that is as far as i can take this!, so, i am going to go out on a limb, and say that it is a defective one. sorry i cannot be of more help

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back