The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

420A 420a Engine balancing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

safirenside

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 28, 2011
houston, Texas
Ok so I have eagle rods and JE 8:5 pistons and my crank shaft is being re grinded. Do I need to have my engine balanced? I plan on turboing the car and having it as a daily driver. HP goal around 400 (eventually).

unless your going to spin really high rpms you dont have to balance it but it doesnt hurt to have it done. i got mine balanced for the piece of mind. but its like an extra 200 bucks to do it. you need your clutch that your going to use to balance it also, if you get it done.

unless your going to spin really high rpms you dont have to balance it but it doesnt hurt to have it done. i got mine balanced for the piece of mind. but its like an extra 200 bucks to do it. you need your clutch that your going to use to balance it also, if you get it done.

I got quoted 137.50 but I don't have a aftermarket clutch yet haven't decided on which one I want to get. Thanks.

It could be wise to do so. You won't need to have it balanced as an assembly. You will need to have the crank balanced separately, than have the small end of the rods balanced to each other and then the big end balanced to each other. From there you will need to balance the pistons to each other, find the lightest one and remove metal from the others until they all weigh the same. Most aftermarket pistons and rods are balanced from the factory, i would at least measure them.

The clutch, flywheel and balancer do not have to be balanced with the engine. These engines are internally balanced, so everything is balanced separately. Most clutches, flywheels, and balancers are balanced from the factory anyway.

It could be wise to do so. You won't need to have it balanced as an assembly. You will need to have the crank balanced separately, than have the small end of the rods balanced to each other and then the big end balanced to each other. From there you will need to balance the pistons to each other, find the lightest one and remove metal from the others until they all weigh the same. Most aftermarket pistons and rods are balanced from the factory, i would at least measure them.

The clutch, flywheel and balancer do not have to be balanced with the engine. These engines are internally balanced, so everything is balanced separately. Most clutches, flywheels, and balancers are balanced from the factory anyway.

Ok thanks. So this will help extend the life of my motor?

Ok thanks. So this will help extend the life of my motor?

Not necessarily. If it is just a little out of balance it will be fine, but something that is severely out of balance can damage the bearings, or break the crank. The engine will feel a hell of a lot smoother while driving the car though.

than have the small end of the rods balanced to each other and then the big end balanced to each other. From there you will need to balance the pistons to each other, find the lightest one and remove metal from the others until they all weigh the same. Most aftermarket pistons and rods are balanced from the factory, i would at least measure them.

I'd recommend weighing them, but they should all be within a gram or two of each other, and for that i wouldn't bother balancing them exact. With removing material you can weaken the item, (especially if removing it from the wrong place) I think people really over worry about the difference of a gram or two, I mean hell, a drop of oil more on a single rod at the time will add just as much weight if not more. (talking pistons and rods of course)

If something is way off, than I would think about calling the manufacturer about a defect, most companies advertise items being weight matched

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back