1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

420a Clutch Parts

Posted by 97egl, Feb 10, 2019

Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. 97egl

97egl Proven Member

Joined Feb 6, 2014
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    This is a 420a NOT a 4g63

Finishing up my 2.4 swap and after putting it in for the 3rd time and getting everything lined up and figured out I go under and find the part in the attached pic laying on the floor. I believe it is just a piece from the back side of the modular clutch which aligns the clutch when installing. I've already got the clutch assy bolted to the flywheel so I'm not sure if there is any reason to remove the engine to install this part. I'd rather not spend the 45 minutes to pull the engine again if I dont have to.

Thanks for any help

Attached Files:

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. tametalon92

tametalon92 Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    That part centers the clutch assembly to the crankshaft, it's fairly vital. I would recommend it be in there, it's been a bit since I did a 420a clutch, but if it's not there it's possible you'd have the clutch assembly out of balance slightly which you DO NOT want.

A more versed 420a member should be able to give a 100% answer.

Street Build 200  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 449  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 1K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  3. silvreclips

silvreclips Proven Member

Joined Jul 19, 2005
    Greenville, South Carolina
    Is the trans in yet? If not you may not be able to get the splines in the disk and the bellhousing on the dowels

4. 97egl

97egl Proven Member

Joined Feb 6, 2014
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    The motor and trans are bolted together as well as the 4 flexplate bolts are bolted to the clutch. If its just to help align the clutch there shouldnt be an issue as i put the modular piece on the input shaft and then lowered the motor in

5. tametalon92

tametalon92 Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    The problem is without that piece it's possible to have slight misalignment, as well as placing all load on the bolts for the flexplate. I sure don't want that heavy modular clutch setup even a teeny bit off center when it's spinning several thousand RPMs.

As much as it's a pain, I'd recommend pulling it back out and making sure everything is as it should be.

Street Build 200  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 449  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 1K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM