The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

4-Spider and Torrington Bearing Upgrade?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97gst_spyder

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 1, 2008
Lakeland, Florida
I've searching for an answer to this. I know there both available for a manual, but are they available for an auto?

It can be done. It just takes someone like Jon @ TRE to do it for you. Either way, the cost of doing this usually makes people cry so they weld them instead and remove the viscous coupler while they are in there.

Sobbing or just crying? I'll call them today.

Shep did both for me.....You will have to call or send email for a price...

What makes it pointless on an auto? I"m not saying your wrong, but i'm really curiouse as to why. I'm guessing it's because of the lack of "shock" to the driveline the way an auto launches or is there something i'mmissing?

I'mhoping to find an old spare CD to see if i can do the machining to make it a 4 spider, being a poor ass that's fighting to get on disability as much as i want to just buy a unit i can't afford to do so. I may skip the torrington mod but if it's something ican machine along with the work for the 2 extra spiders i may give it a go

It makes just as much sense in an auto as it does in a 5 speed car..Been daily driving my low 11 second at/car for 2 years with it....For a straight line, drag only car, welded is the best way..JMHO

I recently did this upgrade when I built my manual trans with Jacks transmission. I think it was around $480

It makes just as much sense in an auto as it does in a 5 speed car..Been daily driving my low 11 second at/car for 2 years with it....For a straight line, drag only car, welded is the best way..JMHO

Guess it depends on the situation. Depending on how much power you make a 4 spyder doesn't make sense in a 5 speed. My car was kind of dangerous to drive on the street with the 4 spyder. It spinned so bad it was scary. It was spinning BAD! I had to go to a welded diff. Only thing that'll be hard to do is 90* turns and u turns etc. Shift into 1st, turn, gas, a lil wheel hop, shift into reverse, gas and over again etc that'll be a little difficult in a 5 speed. How difficult will that same procedure be in an auto :hmm:? It takes no effort to drive an auto LOL. NONE!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back