The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2in1 Question - 95 Eclipse

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iEMPIRE

Probationary Member
Feb 10, 2007
Palm Bay, Florida
I'm buying a Eclipse RS 95 for 700$ nothing wrong with it, my boss is selling it to me because of a Reposession (Im a repo man) that capitalone denied taking back. It has 167k miles in it, and I wanted to get a new engine, but did not know it had a DSM in it.

Do Stock Eclipses have DSM ?

Also, where can I find a website that officer performance parts that will allow me to style my engine? Such as this picture :
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I want to do that soo bad!!

Let me know!

Thanks.

(Admins, I've searched and found no relevant responses in query.)

Welcome to the board.

DSM = Diamond Star Motors

I guess you could say it has a DSM in it. But normally we all just call Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers (T/E/L) DSMs, as in the whole vehicle in general.

Most auto parts stores have the colored loom if thats what youre asking for.

Just an opinion, but more people will notice your car on this board if you stick to engine modification and not so much "what color all the things are in your bay". Just my .02!

Anyone notice that IC in the pic is fake? Fun!

The engine bay just looks like its full of blue wire loom. The head lights look like you will have to take them apart and paint them. You will need to heat them up in an oven to warm up the glue and pull the two sides apart. Then after all the work is done, reheat them in the oven so the glue is plyable and put them back together.

I also noticed the intercooler pipe goes to the firewall.

It has no modifications, that's why I did not post anything. I've spent the last 3 weeks, 4 hours a day reading this board and learning about cars. As soon as I get it, I'll be postnig more, and hopfully have a nice tuner car.

I'm new to the race/auto scene, and appreicate the warm welcome. I've always had an american car, I guess it's time to give Japan a go.

Add:
I'll be buying a 4G63T engine for 1,600 40,000 mi on it. Deal or no Deal? Professional Install, or learn to install?

Appreicate the help. The questions will get less dumber over time.

It has no modifications, that's why I did not post anything. I've spent the last 3 weeks, 4 hours a day reading this board and learning about cars. As soon as I get it, I'll be postnig more, and hopfully have a nice tuner car.

I'm new to the race/auto scene, and appreicate the warm welcome. I've always had an american car, I guess it's time to give Japan a go.

Add:
I'll be buying a 4G63T engine for 1,600 40,000 mi on it. Deal or no Deal? Professional Install, or learn to install?

Ok, I'll play the devils advocate here... If you spend $1600 for a 4g63t, you will be wasting your money. The '95 RS come with a 420a motor, which is NOT interchangeable with a 4g63. The cost of fabrication is simply not worth it to make one fit either. Your best bet would be to plan on building the 420a, or looking for a different car.

Add:

DSMs were a joint effort between Mitsubishi and Chrysler/Plymouth/Eagle (hence "D"iamond (for the :dsm:) "S"tar (for the :laser:) "M"otors, so it's only half Japanese ;).

You can't just drop a 4G63 into your car and have it work. You also need many other parts (turbo, intake, exhaust, ECU, etc.). I'd do my homework on this before buying that motor.

DSMs were a joint effort between Mitsubishi and Chrysler/Plymouth/Eagle (hence "D"iamond (for the :dsm:) "S"tar (for the :laser:) "M"otors, so it's only half Japanese ;).

You can't just drop a 4G63 into your car and have it work. You also need many other parts (turbo, intake, exhaust, ECU, etc.). I'd do my homework on this before buying that motor.

I guess so. Can you do much to a 420a?

For all your BASIC DSM QUESTIONS

For everything else you wanted to know about DSMs

Short answers:
-Putting a 4g63 engine into a car that's equipped with a 420a engine is not a worthwhile use of your time, money, and effort. Instead, you can turbocharge the 420a using a Hahn Racecraft turbo kit (or other reputable brand), keep it NA, or the old stand-by, which is sell it and buy a GST or GSX.

-Any decent auto parts store will have basic dress-up items like wire loom, silicone hoses, etc. Take a trip through an Autozone, Advance Auto, Checker, NAPA, etc. and see what they have. Also, if you ask nicely, they may show you the big catalogs they keep behind the counter full of fun shiny stuff.

-There's a specific 420a newbie forum on DSMTuners that may be better suited to answer some of your more specific questions about your engine and what you can do to it.

Welcome to Tuners. Good luck.

For all your BASIC DSM QUESTIONS

For everything else you wanted to know about DSMs

Short answers:
-Putting a 4g63 engine into a car that's equipped with a 420a engine is not a worthwhile use of your time, money, and effort. Instead, you can turbocharge the 420a using a Hahn Racecraft turbo kit (or other reputable brand), keep it NA, or the old stand-by, which is sell it and buy a GST or GSX.

-Any decent auto parts store will have basic dress-up items like wire loom, silicone hoses, etc. Take a trip through an Autozone, Advance Auto, Checker, NAPA, etc. and see what they have. Also, if you ask nicely, they may show you the big catalogs they keep behind the counter full of fun shiny stuff.

-There's a specific 420a newbie forum on DSMTuners that may be better suited to answer some of your more specific questions about your engine and what you can do to it.

Welcome to Tuners. Good luck.

Appreciate it, fully.

Appreicate the prompt responses as well. I think i'll build the 420a.

hard tops came with rs and gs with the 420a
gst gsx came with 4g63t

spyders came in two models gs with the 4g64
and gst with the 4g63

they never came with a rs model spyder.

Yeah, my bad... typo. I'm typing with one hand, so I just kinda blew through it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back