The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

420A 2gNT P1490 Code, Fans Not Working.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevoharris420

Probationary Member
Nov 19, 2021
Anniston, Alabama
I have a p1490 code is that to do with a temperature sensor please help me . Fans not kicking on I know one goes to the ac but rad fan not turning on

I have a p1490 code can anyone please help me make it go away my car runs rough idk what to do the rad fan will not work at all . And I've tested fan it's good Nd changed relay also . Please help if ya guys can

Did Nd put in the correct relay type? If yes perhaps harness/pin issue. Start checking the low speed fan control relay voltages. Assuming you have a 420A (but not the 1996), the radiator fan relay (L01 in engine fusebox slot A-11X, which is middle relay of the upper relay row of the two rows of relays) should always have +12v on the red/black wire, and +12v on the blue/red when key is on, and 0v on the green/black (from PCM) when it turns the fan on, {note the white/black goes to the fan}. You can test the relay/fan operation by grounding the green/black when the key is on - radiator fan should go on.

Last edited:
Did Nd put in the correct relay type? If yes perhaps harness/pin issue. Start checking the low speed fan control relay voltages. Assuming you have a 420A (but not the 1996), the radiator fan relay (L01 in engine fusebox slot A-11X, which is middle relay of the upper relay row of the two rows of relays) should always have +12v on the red/black wire, and +12v on the blue/red when key is on, and 0v on the green/black (from PCM) when it turns the fan on, {note the white/black goes to the fan}. You can test the relay/fan operation by grounding the green/black when the key is on - radiator fan should go on.
I also didn't state I have no ac in the car as well its I did a a. Delete to the car . Could that be the problem I'm gonna go check and see what I can find out

I also didn't state I have no ac in the car as well its I did a a. Delete to the car . Could that be the problem I'm gonna go check and see what I can find out
If everything else is working, maybe install a on/off button for the fan? but rad fan should kick in if relay/fuse is ok, and signal from temp sensor is coming out, try change the coolant tempature sensor, it's cheap to replace and cuts off 50% of what can be wrong, if nothing above don't work, then your fan motor is dead, you can try to feed 12V for it and see if it spins

oh and code p1490 is for evap surge line, most likely a stuck valve or loose gas cap, or slanted evap hose, nothing to do with the engine cooling

If everything else is working, maybe install a on/off button for the fan? but rad fan should kick in if relay/fuse is ok, and signal from temp sensor is coming out, try change the coolant tempature sensor, it's cheap to replace and cuts off 50% of what can be wrong, if nothing above don't work, then your fan motor is dead, you can try to feed 12V for it and see if it spins
I still stand for this statement, but start with feeding 12v to the fan and see if it spins, these rarely ever broke but sometimes faulty relay or a short wire might burn the fan motor, if it spins, try change the relay and coolant temperature sensor, you can bypass relay with a paperclip first just to see if it works with that, if new relay don't fix it but it works with the paperclip bypass, you have a short somewhere

Still have a p1490 can anyone help me I check the whole harness no wires are naked and new sensors rad fan isnt working at all and I've check 12v power to the fan and it works fin

I also rebuilt a motor it's a 420a eclipse motor. I have traced all wires nothing is naked and touching . And new sensor

Last edited by a moderator:
No like I've said I've check it all today I looked all through the wiring harness no wires are touch and the fan works with 12v power it comes on

You take the relay out and connect the ends together with paperclip or wire which are pointing same way but on opposite site on the relay

I'm busy at work right now but just Google relay bypass with paperclip, they also sell bypass kits in part stores which has on off switch on it if that's easier for you

Yep it comes on . But still cant figure out why it's not without being jumped and it's still throwing p1490 code

Okay I'll get back with you soon appreciate you taking the time to help me
Sure thing, and I know that electric stuff is frustrating to track, I just fixed this issue at Camaro where #2 cylinder injector was open all the time when running, found the issue after long time tracing the harness and watching wiring diagrams

Do you know what wire would be the ground to the relay

The pin had came out of the ecu . Thanks for the help guys

I fixed the problem if anyone else is having this problem check the black and green wire going to the ecu

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back