The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2g VSS and speedometer in 1g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabs

Probationary Member
May 3, 2012
NOg, Arizona
Hi,

I've been reading different post of people trying to achieve this, but none has the process documented.

Basically, is putting the 2g speedometer in a 1g with the 2g vss already in the tranny.

So far, the information gathered is:

VSS 3 wiring:
Black and white: 12v
Black: GND
Yellow: ECU

How this has to be done since 1g ECU is gathering the vehicule speed directly to the speedometer.

In the 2g looks like it's linked to the ECU first and later it sends the signal to the speedometer.

Car: 1992 AWD Talon with DSMLink v3 Full
Speedometer and vss: 1998 GST.

Thanks in advance!

I personally haven't done this but I believe you should be able to simply connect the VSS to the ECU and then connect the speedo to the stock wire. The 1g speedo uses the mechanical cable and a reed switch to generate the signal which I believe operates at a rate of 4000 pulses per mile. This signal is generated at the speedo and sent to the ECU. The 2g speedo and VSS I believe uses the same 4000 pulses per mile. Again this is all from memory.

1g speedo is cable driven. Are you trying to install an aftermarket speedo? Otherwise why are you doing this?

I personally haven't done this but I believe you should be able to simply connect the VSS to the ECU and then connect the speedo to the stock wire. The 1g speedo uses the mechanical cable and a reed switch to generate the signal which I believe operates at a rate of 4000 pulses per mile. This signal is generated at the speedo and sent to the ECU. The 2g speedo and VSS I believe uses the same 4000 pulses per mile. Again this is all from memory.

Thank you!

Reed switch signal is the same for cable driven and electric sensors?

Any special configuration needed in ECU?

1g speedo is cable driven. Are you trying to install an aftermarket speedo? Otherwise why are you doing this?

The car has no dash so I'm creating a custom center console with specific gauges in there.

I'm going with aftermarket gauges on everything except to Speedometer, RPM and Fuel.

My main concern even if I decide to run an aftermarket speedometer is, how is the ECU going to know when the car is moving? (2 step applications)

Thank you all for your comments and feedback.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back