The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Speedometer issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Miller

Proven Member
Jan 27, 2020
Watertown, Wisconsin
Hello fellow DSM addicts!!

I recently discovered an issue dwelling in the depths of my speedometer. When ever I turn the key on or when the car is running, the speedo will read 40-60mph even though I am at a dead stop. Now I can not drive this car (need to rebuild front suspension ect ect....) so I have no way of telling if it calibrates speed at all. So my question is how to solve this and what would be causing that issue.

Thanks!!

Your speed sensor device is in your transmission. They are notorious for going bad. I changed mine once so far i did it while I was in there changing my clutch and flywheel. My speedometer dropped to zero permanently when mine went out.

Here's a small diagram

Attachments

• Capture+_2020-06-18-01-02-04~2.png
    Capture+_2020-06-18-01-02-04~2.png
    168.9 KB · Views: 135
Last edited by a moderator:
Como puedo saber o checar simi sensor de velocidad sirve

Hello fellow DSM addicts!!

I recently discovered an issue dwelling in the depths of my speedometer. When ever I turn the key on or when the car is running, the speedo will read 40-60mph even though I am at a dead stop. Now I can not drive this car (need to rebuild front suspension ect ect....) so I have no way of telling if it calibrates speed at all. So my question is how to solve this and what would be causing that issue.

Thanks!!

My experience with this has always been the gauge itself actually being the culprit if it wont come back down to 0. If you have a known good cluster to swap that is a quick check, also may be worthwhile to pull the speed sensor from the transmission and check the gear on the end and verify everything is there and intact. With the key on you can have someone spin the speed sensor to mimic driving and verify its operation.

What I think is the issue, is either A) your VSS is bad, or B) the previous owner pulled the speedo needle off the gauge and it is no longer calibrated. The cheaper solution is probably replacing the gauge with a known good one. If you need one, PM me. If that doesn't solve it, get a new VSS.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back