The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2g Vs 1g Transfer Case Question !!help!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cesar

15+ Year Contributor
May 24, 2003
Titusville, Florida
I have a new 2g tranny to put in my 1g. I got a problem though... I do not have a t-case for that tranny. I could get a new one if I was planning on spending the extra cash, but I have also considered swapping internals (pinion gear, ring gear, and the t-case out put shaft.) to save money.

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between the trannys from 95-99?
What about the transfer cases...how are they differnt from 95-96 to 97-99. The mitsu dealer says they are a different item, which should I use?? Where can I get one?

THANKS

I have been told 95-96 and 97-99 trannies have a different final drive ratio making their transfer cases not interchangeable. Also that the 95-96 trannies have the same gearing to match the 23-spline 1g transfer cases. I may be using incorrect terminology as I'm not really up to speed on transmission/drivetrain jargon.

TSiAWD666 said:
I have been told 95-96 and 97-99 trannies have a different final drive ratio making their transfer cases not interchangeable. Also that the 95-96 trannies have the same gearing to match the 23-spline 1g transfer cases. I may be using incorrect terminology as I'm not really up to speed on transmission/drivetrain jargon.

Yep any 1g 23 spline xcase will work on a 95-96 2g tranny, but 96.5+ 2g tranny's will need a 96.5+ xcase.

I was wondering whether either of you knew how to distinguish the two 2g transaxles apart, or how to distinguish the two 2g transfer cases....
Thanks for the replies. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back