1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Transfer case question

Posted by v8s_are_slow, Mar 22, 2012

Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. v8s_are_slow

v8s_are_slow Proven Member

Joined Sep 30, 2002
    Panama City, Florida
    Was just trying to finish my awd conversion and the very last thing I had to do was bolt up the transfer case. I put it on the output shaft of the transmission and throw in the bottom 3 bolts, but the top bolt holes do NOT line up. I'm pretty pissed at the moment. Was planning on track day next month and this is a big issue.

The driveshaft didn't wanna go in very well but it was pretty rusted at the end of it (bought it from another member on here so have no clue what year it came off of). I pulled all the parts out of a 95 and could've sworn everything was bolted up. But the top holes on the transfer case are way higher than the holes in the transmission.

Anyone have any transfer case knowledge??? Yes, I searched. Thanks.

2K  20

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    10.949 @ 129.77 · 2G DSM
  2. talondave

talondave Honorary Wiseman

Joined Oct 27, 2008
    Oakland, Maryland
    Sounds like you have a auto tcase, which wont bolt up to a manual trans!

talondave

3K  0

1994 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    8.562 @ 164.17 · 1G DSM
  3. brokedowntalon7

brokedowntalon7 Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    While you are working with the tcase and driveshaft I think it would be worth your time to change the yolk (since its rusty) as well as replace the input and output seals on the tcase. Just did mine and wish i would have done it all a long time ago. pesky leaks!

4. v8s_are_slow

Joined Sep 30, 2002
    Panama City, Florida
    Looks like I'm buying another transfer case. Yay. Wondering where I can get another yoke.

Yoke, Yolk, whatever.

2K  20

10.949 @ 129.77 · 2G DSM
  5. talondave

Joined Oct 27, 2008
    Oakland, Maryland
    Jnz or extreme psi should have a yoke and ujoint kits in stock, its actually a kit for the recall and its like $30 or so and it comes with a new oem ujoint and yoke!

talondave

3K  0

1994 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    8.562 @ 164.17 · 1G DSM
  6. v8s_are_slow

Joined Sep 30, 2002
    Panama City, Florida
    Thanks, I'll be researching that. Currently looking around for a transfer case. Anyone know if a 1g will fit? Looking at all options.

2K  20

10.949 @ 129.77 · 2G DSM
  7. talondave

Joined Oct 27, 2008
    Oakland, Maryland
    Yes the 1g will fit, just have to make sure its a 23spline and that your trans is either a 95-96 trans. All 91-96 m/t tcases are the same.

talondave

3K  0

1994 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    8.562 @ 164.17 · 1G DSM