The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G 2G rear subframe build for 3000GT rearend

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99gst_racer

Apr 5, 2003
Coloma, Michigan
Howdy folks!

I just wanted to start this thread to share a build that I'm working on. The thread title tells all. I'll be working on it this coming week and weekend, and I'll stop in to share updates as I go.

I scooped up a 3/S rearend and narrowed it on a mill so that it would fit in my jig. I utilized the threaded portions of the rear that are typically used to set bearing preload, and I'm using them to adjust to an exact width to locate the rear side to side in the jig.

Shown here, with the welded in slug. My jig locates rearends based on the center of the axle shaft:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I drew up bracketry to bolt to the cover and to each side of the pinion. Extra thick brackets to avoid warpage, yet lightened for weight reduction.

3D drawings:

And here they are in steel:

And here's the mounting points for the lower part of the front cover. This subframe build will be very similar in design to the one I do for the DSM rearend.

More pics coming tomorrow. Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Have you built any for the 1g?

That's awesome! How much weight does your rear subframe save over stock? (assuming same rear diff)

That's awesome! How much weight does your rear subframe save over stock? (assuming same rear diff)
I'm not sure about any weights on this subframe yet. But the ones I build for the DSM rearends save 37.5 lbs for the drag version (actually 46 lbs once you count sway bar removal), and the road race version shaves 29 lbs.

is the 3k rearend diff in an auto version the same as a 2g auto diff, if so i would like one of these built for my car as well, im currently building a high hp car and no im upto the rear

is the 3k rearend diff in an auto version the same as a 2g auto diff, if so i would like one of these built for my car as well, im currently building a high hp car and no im upto the rear
I'm really not sure on the ratios. 3000GT's are pretty foreign to me.

All I know is that 5-speed DSM guys are using the 5-speed 3/S rears.

what year should i look for from the 3/s and evo 8/9 has the same ratio? thats crazy any where i can find this info, i tried looking befor but nothing,
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=3000gt rear diff ratio

Seriously, it's the first link.

edit: and if you don't know, the evo's have a 3.307 rear ratio

91-93 5sp 3000 has the same ratio as a 5 sp DSM
94-99 6sp 3000 has the same ratio as an auto DSM or an evo

Last edited:
If you're in need of a 3/S rearend, join 3si.org and send a PM to 92VR4Widebody. He parts out 3/S cars and has many rearends in stock. Very reasonably priced too. Expect to pay quite a bit more for a 6-speed VS a 5-speed rear though. As well, most rears will have the AWS pump on the top of the housing. Just unbolt it and hammer in a freeze plug to plug the hole.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=3000gt rear diff ratio

Seriously, it's the first link.

edit: and if you don't know, the evo's have a 3.307 rear ratio

91-93 5sp 3000 has the same ratio as a 5 sp DSM
94-99 6sp 3000 has the same ratio as an auto DSM or an evo

awesome ill have a look thanks, and ops on the link LOL

If you're in need of a 3/S rearend, join 3si.org and send a PM to 92VR4Widebody. He parts out 3/S cars and has many rearends in stock. Very reasonably priced too. Expect to pay quite a bit more for a 6-speed VS a 5-speed rear though. As well, most rears will have the AWS pump on the top of the housing. Just unbolt it and hammer in a freeze plug to plug the hole.

ill give him a shout and grab a 6 speed and if not ill try to get my hands on an evo,

AWESOME!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back