The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2g head on a 6 bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennyspec

Probationary Member
Nov 21, 2008
Stonewall, Manitoba_Canada
Hey quick question on this swap. I am swapping in a 6bolt into a 95 talon TSI AWD and plan to use the 2g head. if i have a complete 6bolt bottom end do i still need to modify the side of the 6 bolt engine block cover found at the start of this link? i know the engine mount needs to be modded.

6 Bolt Motor Install Into a 2G Eclipse

I have read that the head bolts needs to be drilled out to 1/2". should i run the 6 bolt waterpump as well? also I plan to run all the cam sensors from the 2g head for ease of wiring and cost.

Yea like Kevin said the head stud holes on the cylinder head need to be bored out just a little. Do yourself a favor and have this done at a machine shop.

As for the front case, you will need a 6 bolt front case and a 6 bolt water pump. Anything that goes on the block will be 6 bolt for you know including timing belt components.

You can drill the head bolt holes out yourself with a 1/2" drill. The dowels line up the head with the block not the bolts, so slight imperfections in the bolt hole have no effect on head/block alignment. Just make sure to clean any metal shaving out of the head.

ok the link that kevin RR posted is pretty straight forward. one more question, does anyone have a 1G CAS for sale? Also the 6 bolt that i got does not have the timing belt tensioner arm. can i use the one from the 2g?

found a few CAS's on ebay. does it matter what one i get? are some years better than others?

ok the link that kevin RR posted is pretty straight forward. one more question, does anyone have a 1G CAS for sale? Also the 6 bolt that i got does not have the timing belt tensioner arm. can i use the one from the 2g?

found a few CAS's on ebay. does it matter what one i get? are some years better than others?

The link I posted is very straight forward and no you can not use the 2g arm. Because it different in size and length. You can use any 1g CAS but the 93-94 is supposedly better.

ok, is the 7bolt intake side balance shaft pully the same as on the 6 bolt?

Yes. The oil pump gear is the same on both engines.

if you are going to stick with the stock head, and want to get the most potential out of your stock engine, than use the 1g head it has better airflow.
than you dont have to bore out the holes for the headstuds either.
you do have to use the 1gCAS but thats not a big deal.

ok so i got the engine bolted up and in the car i used this method

http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/tech/1gina2g.pdf

just throwing on the plastic timing belt cover now. do i use the 1g timing belt cover or the one from the 2g? They both dont seem to fit to easily. do i use the 1g and trim it around the engine mount??

So got the car up and running. One question though. How do I properly set the CAS timing? I have a timing gun, but in the writeup it says to compare that to the scangauge. Is there any way to set the timing properly without the scan guage?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back