The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2g eclipse fire

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashten Alexander

Proven Member
Oct 13, 2015
Houston, Texas
On my way to Walmart my gsx decides to catch on fire ... so a little back story of maintenance : my old alternator went out and belt went bad ,so i replaced them both and the battery all from auto zone. For about a 3 weeks I'm problem free .. then last night the alternator catches on fire and burns all the wires going to it . i haven't had a chance to make it back to auto zone for a warranty return ... but what could cause something like this? Any advice would help because this DSM is driving me up the wall :beatentodeath::banghead: !!!

The altanator and all of the connections going to it burned on the tips. It is was a small fire, I seen it from under the car, but it only lasted for less then a minute. Oh and where would i get the white plug that goes to the altanator?

Talk to Miller Parts about the harness piece if you still need it. The alternator is truly in a dumb space on these cars, right next to the blazing hot inferno exhaust manifold. At least it wasn't anything more serious though. Only assuming it's in the factory spot since it wasn't states that you had done a relocation on it (that's a whole other pita).

The pigtails should be available at any auto parts store. They may have to order it but they are a commonly damaged item during alternator rrplacement.

Personally I would only use a new replacement pigtail after tracing all the wires back to make sure there are no other melted wires at any other point in the harness. You should also inspect your fuse box and main engine grounding points for any other wiring issues.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back