The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

20g td06 HP record?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have this wheel in my ebay watchlist. I am wondering how it would be mated to my 06h turbine and 8cm housing.

buschur racing posted years ago on why the buschur 20g came with a heavy clip. they measured backpressure at 80psi unclipped and 65psi clipped in 7cm. In addition FP has stated the 5h wheel only supports 47 lbs compressor flow. they also state clipping ruins efficiency of wheel. I wouldn't run 5h unless it was in 8cm 10cm or the twin scroll 12.5cm. but even then I would expect less than ideal results. even the standard 20 wheel deserves better than the 5h wheel. I estimate this billet wheel will flow 5lbs more than standard 20.

When I ran the billet 20g (in TD06 cover) I started getting a little bit of surge between 3.9-4.5k rpms during pulls above 19psi. This was with a TD06sl2 turbine in a 7cm housing. Keep in mind though, the sl2 is not a "true" TD06, it is smaller, barely bigger than a td05 but with one less blade. Still, I'm sure that mild surge would have been even worse with a td05.

Also, I run a 2.4L so it really spools that 20g fast. I think maybe a 2.0L would have kept the boost just that little bit lower through that rpm range and you would possibly not see surge using a td06sl2. Bigger cams should help with that as well (was running 264's).

I'm fairly certain that that my mild surge could have also been fixed with just an anti-surge cover but I ended up putting a billet 18g wheel with that SL2 turbine for my other (auto) D.D. DSM and switched to a FP 71HTA for my "toy" DSM.

buschur racing posted years ago on why the buschur 20g came with a heavy clip. they measured backpressure at 80psi unclipped and 65psi clipped in 7cm. In addition FP has stated the 5h wheel only supports 47 lbs compressor flow. they also state clipping ruins efficiency of wheel. I wouldn't run 5h unless it was in 8cm 10cm or the twin scroll 12.5cm. but even then I would expect less than ideal results. even the standard 20 wheel deserves better than the 5h wheel. I estimate this billet wheel will flow 5lbs more than standard 20.

Did they state what pressure they saw that at? I haven't tested clipped wheel, but i'd imagine it was around 20-22psi. I was able to see 3:1 pressure ratios witht he td05h in a 7cm housing! Near the limits of pump gas. a lot of it has to due with the mhi housing architecture i believe though, not the wheel. But i was able to see huge improvments with a td06 wheel, and the big suprise is the td06 6cm combo. I was using a heavily ported housing including the volute. So you are changing the architecture to a certain extent. The pressure rations with the 6cm crossed the 7cm at around 25psi. So i don't know if the 6cm is an inherently better architecture, or if they are the same, just rescaled. The heavly porting kind of ruins the results, but i think the 6cm is inadequate without heavy porting inside the volute. Maybe pj91gsx will chime in, as i understand, he has quite a bot of experience putting a serious port on the interior of a 6cm.

From what mts turbo service told me. The Tdo6sl2 has a lot of surging problems in small 7Cm housing. I'm not sure if this guy is creditable to believe or not

A tdo6sl2 should surge slightly less than a to05h in a 7cm housing. For a 2.0L with big cams this may be enough to keep you out of surge with a 20g. Otherwise, you're looking at a true td06 turbine and also slower spool.
To get a little more flow on top, I'm actually thinking about putting a tdo6sl2 turbine in the FP 8cm housing for my FP 71HTA. Waiting to hear results back from another guy who is running that setup.

I wouldn't call the 6sl2 slightly bigger than the 5h. its 5mm larger ind and exd. It may be the best match for 20g wheel. but there's limited data on it and most are afraid to run it since its not a genuine mitsu wheel. EVO 8 guys are running 25g wheels on the 6sl2 and making well over 500whp with ease. so it clearly supports some flow. I have run the 20g many ways myself. only ran the 6sl2 in my evo x 12cm TS dsm setup. it spooled wonderfully fast and had manageable surge. like it wouldn't surge at 75% throttle but would at 100%. my favorite way to run 20g is with 6h/6cm combo. the 6h/7cm was a bit laggy for my tastes. (might be perfect with 60gram billet wheel) I also played with volute on 6cm and found it was quite easy to turn it into 7cm or worse. the buschur testing was done at 27psi if I remember correctly.

tempted to try billet 20g mated to this new 5h wheel I found. genuine mitsu updated 5h wheel. I think it would work well in the 12cm TS setup since the standard 5h mated to 71hta has done well in evo 8 turbos (475-490whp e85) problem is I don't want to try it without a ported shroud. there isn't yet a ported shroud for evo x 20g.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't call the 6sl2 slightly bigger than the 5h. its 5mm larger ind and exd. It may be the best match for 20g wheel. but there's limited data on it and most are afraid to run it since its not a genuine mitsu wheel. EVO 8 guys are running 25g wheels on the 6sl2 and making well over 500whp with ease. so it clearly supports some flow. I have run the 20g many ways myself. only ran the 6sl2 in my evo x 12cm TS dsm setup. it spooled wonderfully fast and had manageable surge. like it wouldn't surge at 75% throttle but would at 100%. my favorite way to run 20g is with 6h/6cm combo. the 6h/7cm was a bit laggy for my tastes. (might be perfect with 60gram billet wheel) I also played with volute on 6cm and found it was quite easy to turn it into 7cm or worse. the buschur testing was done at 27psi if I remember correctly.

Ya for sure it seems the magic setup for a 20g (for DSM's anyway) is either a TD06h in a well ported 6cm housing (rare to find in good condition). The other setup that would probably give you about the same results is a TD05H in an 8cm housing. The td06sl2 in a 12cm housing a a completely different thing and I'm sure that it could support much larger compressors using that combo but that is not really a DSM, direct bolt-on option unfortunately.
For some situations though, the tdo06sl2 might be the perfect comprimise for someone who is just slightly surging with a td05h wheel in a 7cm housing and just needs that little bit more oomph to drive through it.

Last edited by a moderator:
tempted to try billet 20g mated to this new 5h wheel I found. genuine mitsu updated 5h wheel. I think it would work well in the 12cm TS setup since the standard 5h mated to 71hta has done well in evo 8 turbos (475-490whp e85) problem is I don't want to try it without a ported shroud. there isn't yet a ported shroud for evo x 20g.

.. and nothing smaller available in a ported shroud that can be machined to a 20g I take it. Only available for bigger stuff for the Evo X?

560tq and 440hp. But not on a td06.

2.4 with off the self 87mm wisco pistons.
20g with 6sl2 turbine.
e85
35ish psi, just unplugged the gate.
2g head with stock mani.
2g cams.
evo 8 intercooler.

I can't find my dyno sheet but i still have a video at the track.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6FDsHXAa-I]ligo 118 - YouTube[/ame]

560tq and 440hp. But not on a td06.

2.4 with off the self 87mm wisco pistons.
20g with 6sl2 turbine.
e85
35ish psi, just unplugged the gate.
2g head with stock mani.
2g cams.
evo 8 intercooler.

I can't find my dyno sheet but i still have a video at the track.
ligo 118 - YouTube

Wow very nice! What compressor housing? What 20g wheel? What turbine housing? What are you using to tune?

Nice pump numbers! If you don't mind sharing, what kind of timing are you seeing at peak torque?

I've been working my tune and was able to get a 3rd gear pull at 28psi today without knock and 12 degrees peak timing. I doubt I could run this tune at the track without knock though. Which is fine by me since I wasn't aiming for this boost level anyways.

18* ish but we still had fine tuning in the afrs to do and we hadn't even touched timing yet but that's where it was at. Afrs were at about 11.3 up to 12.3 in some spots after peak torque, no knock though but very much on the limit. I cant give you hard final numbers because like I said we had that injector issue which stopped us dead, had to drive the bish home on cylinders, sucked.

This turbo should easily be good for about 450whp on pump alone at about 30psi.

Don't mean to revive an oldish thread.. But it seems like the correct thread for my question! I'm getting a 20g from turbo lab, it has a tdo6 compressor housing, 7cm turbine housing with a td06sl2 turbine. With this combo.. What do you think spool times and flow are going to be? I should also mention I'm getting a 7 blade billet wheel as well.

I'm aiming for 450 to 500hp... And I'm hoping this turbo could get me there (along with supporting mods)

Don't mean to revive an oldish thread.. But it seems like the correct thread for my question! I'm getting a 20g from turbo lab, it has a tdo6 compressor housing, 7cm turbine housing with a td06sl2 turbine. With this combo.. What do you think spool times and flow are going to be? I should also mention I'm getting a 7 blade billet wheel as well.

I'm aiming for 450 to 500hp... And I'm hoping this turbo could get me there (along with supporting mods)

By what folks are saying 450 wheel may be possible on a well prepped car, but id imagine 500 wheel is a stretch...

Should come on just before 4000 rpm.

Bolt it on and report back your trap speeds.....

I hope to have numbers soon on my little beauty. td06h turbine, KTS billet 20g, FP 8cm housing. It has since been converted to external WG.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back