The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

500 hp vs 740 hp

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miragetbo1997cc

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 18, 2002
Perris, California
I was jibber jabbering with this guy that said his 740 hp eclipse runs 8's in the 1/4.I thought that was alittle off.But when I was explaining why I just can't belive him,he said I suck and started bashing my Colt.Of course after taking anger managemet for a year,I just laughed it off.But it really pissed me off after thinking about it,So my question is could a 500 hp w
2100 lbs car handle a track run against this 2900+ 740 hp eclipse?Factors are 60-1 vs GT40,both are AWD.I just can't even make sense of all of the crap he was talkin.Most people in my region would have heard of this guy,but no one has.I don't think he's SHEP material.

500hp 2,100 pound car, with a big slick and lotsa boost is going to put down really good numbers.......

He sounds like hes to into himself and his car...

To put this into perspective, AMS Evo has run a best of 9.23 @ 160 with 1000 hp. This guy does not run 8's with 740 hp.

ep3_04 said:
To put this into perspective, AMS Evo has run a best of 9.23 @ 160 with 1000 hp. This guy does not run 8's with 740 hp.
Well I hate to break it to you but a friend of mine ran low 8's with 600 n/a hp with a 150 shot in a 5.0 hatch. (Full race can't remember weight)
AMS has no traction. Correct me if I'm wrong but shep has like 700 or so running 8's right?

Every 100 pounds is a tenth of a second you have less weight. Also big turbo on nos more lag small turbo less lag. A gt40 is a big turbo to get moving. But I think he is full of it.

mopardwh said:
Well I hate to break it to you but a friend of mine ran low 8's with 600 n/a hp with a 150 shot in a 5.0 hatch. (Full race can't remember weight)
You also have a significant torque difference between a V8 and your inline 4.

mopardwh said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but shep has like 700 or so running 8's right?
There have been no dyno charts released to the public on Shepherd's car for quite a few years. I'd encourage you to read http://www.dsmtimes.org/ to see what people's cars are running on the strip.

ISUJakey said:
You also have a significant torque difference between a V8 and your inline 4. There have been no dyno charts released to the public on Shepherd's car for quite a few years. I'd encourage you to read http://www.dsmtimes.org/ to see what people's cars are running on the strip.
I understand the difference in torque I was just using an example hp vs. 1/4 time. Regardless of displacement.

In regards to your link; what good are times without hp #'s in response to this thread? Most people have seen how fast a dsm can go.

mopardwh said:
In regards to your link; what good are times without hp #'s in response to this thread? Most people have seen how fast a dsm can go.
I was correcting your earlier statement of Shepherd's track times.

mopardwh said:
AMS has no traction. Correct me if I'm wrong but shep has like 700 or so running 8's right?

If your putting 400whp down in a mustang and not running in the 10's something is wrong with your suspension setup. But then again 1.5's are bad 60 foots for mustangs. Also it only takes about 600-700whp to run 8's.

So I dont understand all of these dsm on here that put out 600whp and are only runnign 10's. So keeping with that I doubt he is even running mid 9's.

ISUJakey said:
I was correcting your earlier statement of Shepherd's track times.

I got ya, I was just rounding off.

92lzerNA said:
If your putting 400whp down in a mustang and not running in the 10's something is wrong with your suspension setup. But then again 1.5's are bad 60 foots for mustangs. Also it only takes about 600-700whp to run 8's.

I don't know about that. I've seen Cobra's w/400hp running 12's. Granted they did have horrible suspension.

92lzerNA said:
So I dont understand all of these dsm on here that put out 600whp and are only runnign 10's. So keeping with that I doubt he is even running mid 9's.

Exactly. It makes no sense.

Originally Posted by 92lzerNA

Hum maybe because at that point you can only 60foot so low in a AWD car, and..................DSMs dont make TQ like a V8 would.

TQ is what gets you moving, thats why 4cycs need alot of hp to make up for the lack of TQ they have compare to a V8. Get it?Got it? Good!

He also said he had a vendetta against me because I told him why turbo a sentra 1.6 when you could buy a turbo sr20.That was 4 yrs ago.I assume he was full of it just to see if I'd bi*** out or say no.I just laughed at him and he got angry.Most people talk outta their as$ when they are mad.Especially when he found out I got an Evo.Whats with the haters.I thought it was a dsm vs honda thing.Dsm on dsm crime is unethical. :)'

A 600hp N/A motor with a 150 shot poweradder coupe will not run low 8s. It usually takes around 1200-1300whp to go low 8s in a 3000lbs coupe, which would be consistent with Sheps car which weighs in at 2600lbs and an estimated 1200whp running consistent low 8s but doesn't have the 1/8th mile ET of the RWD tubbed drag mustangs.

One thing to keep in mind when comparing the v8s to imports it that the transbraked,air shifted automatic 4-linked v8 cars arent trapping as high to acheive the same ETs.

A 150MPH v8 car is a high 8 second ride,which obviously requires less power to acheive 160+ to get a similar weight DSM in the 8's.

A friend of mine campaigns a '68 Hemi Cuda in the NHRA SS/AH (Formerly SS/AA,the new class name standing for All Hemi). It weighs 3200lbs,and has run mid 8's at 154. His last motor made in the mid 900 range at the crank on his builders dyno.

Getting back on subject,tell the guy to bring his "740 HP/8-second" car to the track and put his money where his mouth is.... ;)

no way in hell is that guy running 8s with 740hp.... to put it in pespective I know a guy with a colt fwd mind you that made 700whp weighing 2000lbs and his car ran 10.5 and 148mph that is no where near the trap of an 8 sec pass even if he did have taction of awd.

Without a timeslip to back up his mouth, I wouldn't put too much stock in what he say's. There are people all over like that, I just ignore them. If you don't, you'll end up back in anger management classes.

PSI NRG said:
no way in hell is that guy running 8s with 740hp.... to put it in pespective I know a guy with a colt fwd mind you that made 700whp weighing 2000lbs and his car ran 10.5 and 148mph that is no where near the trap of an 8 sec pass even if he did have taction of awd.

Are you talking about the GT42R colt?

Yeah Imma just let it go.I'd need to spend another $1500 to get that magical 500hp anyways.I was going to build a motor in record time to hand him his a$s.But I'll get back to my original timeline and to hell with him.I didn't plan on it being stroked till Aug.Thanks Guyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep3_04

Shep is making over 1200hp.

well your colt should at least of gotten back a full second from his 1/4 time with your near 1000lbs lighter car, but please tell me you dont run 12.8 in the 500whp awd colt thats gonna really hurt your chances, like the wise one said- race him and find out

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back