The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 1gina2g half shaft support bracket mounting bosses damaged. Any advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smbgsx

Proven Member
Apr 15, 2017
Richfield, Minnesota
I discovered at the very end of last season that the front left halfshaft support bearing bracket bolts on my 95 GSX with a 1g swap had loosened. This caused both holes to get stripped out, and one got damaged pretty bad. maybe about 1/3 of the boss itself cracked off. The bearing itself is in rough shape and it was about to snow here in MN so I had to get it out of my shop and stored at home for the winter. so... I packed the damaged hole with JB weld, then welded at stud onto the engine block. threw a nut on it and drove the car a few hundred miles after without any issues. I've driven the hell out of the car this spring and now im starting to hear a pretty good squealing noise from the front left under hard acceleration. My guess is that its the support bearing itself.
The bearing was pretty beat even last season and ive just been procrastinating on replacing it. Im going to replace it now but im just wondering if anyone has any ideas for a repair to the block itself? Im not sure if it was just the bearings time to go or if the stud I welded on (I ground down some of the bearing bracket to be able to slip it over the stud) is misaligning the bearing too much.
so basically do you think I should replace the bearing and just see how long it lasts or should I replace the bearing and bracket and take a shot at messing with the block some more? honestly the stud I got on there is solid AF, just worried about the alignment. And im bolting on a new header, FP turbo, installing a quartermaster twin disk and shooting for 700whp soon, so im a little nervous. any advice, recommendations, help, experiences would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back