The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G Short Shifter Options

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

@TDC

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
Nor-Cal, California
Hey guys I thought I'd start this thread for the 1g guys. What short shifter options have you guys came across? I've been searching like crazy and have only found one option. Right now my shifter assembly is horrible. Basically when I'm in gear you can still move it side to side like its in neutral. I considered a basic stock rebuild. Then I came across an old thread about how JNZtuning used to custom make short shifters for 1g dsm's. I am in contact with JNZ and am arranging to have one made. They no longer sell them due to mitsubishi not being able to supply certain OEM parts. I will keep everyone posted and let you guys know how this works out. Stay Tuned!

Some slag is to be expected in your side to side or front to back lever movement and is really not going to change with a shorter leverage.

Since ours are 20+ year old cars, there's a good chance that the plastic bushings used in the stock setup are shot. You can buy them new (JNZTuning sells them for $1.xx or little more).

A second option is to replace the plastic ones with metal bushings that are normally used on the transmission lever.

These are the P/N

MB580293 1990 Plastic Bushing
MB367320 1991-94 Plastic Bushing
MD719165 1991-94 Metal Bushing

I am not aware if the metal bushing would fit a 90 or a 2G shifter assembly.

In any case 6 of them are needed, keep in mind that at $6 and change each the metal bushing are kind of expensive.

Metal bushings can be used with the Simborsky kit as well to further reduce the slaggish feel of the shifter.

Im running a short shifter but,I cant recall the brand.It did help with the sloppiness though.then again I have the simborsky kit and brass trans shifter cable bushings and the shifter cable trans bracket solid spacer which all helped together.Would like to try the bearings for the shifter cables in the future though.

Some slag is to be expected in your side to side or front to back lever movement and is really not going to change with a shorter leverage.

Since ours are 20+ year old cars, there's a good chance that the plastic bushings used in the stock setup are shot. You can buy them new (JNZTuning sells them for $1.xx or little more).

A second option is to replace the plastic ones with metal bushings that are normally used on the transmission lever.

These are the P/N

MB580293 1990 Plastic Bushing
MB367320 1991-94 Plastic Bushing
MD719165 1991-94 Metal Bushing

I am not aware if the metal bushing would fit a 90 or a 2G shifter assembly.

In any case 6 of them are needed, keep in mind that at $6 and change each the metal bushing are kind of expensive.

Metal bushings can be used with the Simborsky kit as well to further reduce the slaggish feel of the shifter.

Well where all of my slop is coming from the 2 main shifter pieces. I would say that I have at least 2-3 inches of side to side play when the car is in gear and about 1-2 front to back play. I just figure I might as well knock out the shifter assembly with one swift upgrade!

Im running a short shifter but,I cant recall the brand.It did help with the sloppiness though.then again I have the simborsky kit and brass trans shifter cable bushings and the shifter cable trans bracket solid spacer which all helped together.Would like to try the bearings for the shifter cables in the future though.

I'd love to see a picture of your shifter assembly!

Well guys! I need a little help. I am trying to find the part number for some of the washers in the shifter assembly. The pictures are pretty self explanatory. If anyone knows the part numbers for these parts please feel free to share them. I don;t want to add solid washers because the plastic washers help with the rough feel in the shifter. I will need a whole new set of these to pair up with the short shifter.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Also does anyone know if a washer even goes in the #3 circle???

Last edited:
^^Service guy already posted the part numbers for you. You have a 91 car in your profile, but the shifter in your pic is clearly a 90 model shifter. Is that a pic of the shifter in your car, or not? If so, you need these:

6ea-MB580293 1990 Plastic Bushing

If that is not your shifter in the pics you posted and you indeed have a 91 shifter assembly, you need these:

6ea-MB367320 91-94 Plastic Bushing

You need two bushings per place on the shifter you circled in your pics.

Also, that huge washer youve got circled and labelled 1 does not belong on your shifter, someone likely put it there in an ill attempt to eliminate some of the slop, so get rid of it.

Not familiar with the '90 setup but according to CAPS all the bushings you are looking for appear to be MB580253, disregard my previous post where I said it was MB580293. it looks to me like the big plastic bushing in your picture is just a ill fitted replacement and not the original part.

^^Service guy already posted the part numbers for you. You have a 91 car in your profile, but the shifter in your pic is clearly a 90 model shifter. Is that a pic of the shifter in your car, or not? If so, you need these:

6ea-MB580293 1990 Plastic Bushing

If that is not your shifter in the pics you posted and you indeed have a 91 shifter assembly, you need these:

6ea-MB367320 91-94 Plastic Bushing

You need two bushings per place on the shifter you circled in your pics.

Also, that huge washer youve got circled and labelled 1 does not belong on your shifter, someone likely put it there in an ill attempt to eliminate some of the slop, so get rid of it.

That is not my same exact shifter but the one in my car is exactly the same. Those are just pics that I found and edited a little bit. Thats weird because thats the shifter thats in my car. Maybe because the car was basically made in 90 since its a 91. Thanks for the clarification sir! :thumb:

Not familiar with the '90 setup but according to CAPS all the bushings you are looking for appear to be MB580253, disregard my previous post where I said it was MB580293. it looks to me like the big plastic bushing in your picture is just a ill fitted replacement and not the original part.

Thanks alot sir! :thumb:

Here is my 3kGT shifter assembly that I will be sending in to get redone for my 1g!

That is not my same exact shifter but the one in my car is exactly the same. Those are just pics that I found and edited a little bit. Thats weird because thats the shifter thats in my car. Maybe because the car was basically made in 90 since its a 91. Thanks for the clarification sir! :thumb:

Thanks alot sir! :thumb:

Here is my 3kGT shifter assembly that I will be sending in to get redone for my 1g!

This is what i did. i found a 3gt shifter and sent it to jnz and they worked on it. i also put in the symborski shifter base bushing. i am very impressed with how the shifter came out and its nice and stiff as well. unfortunately didnt take any pics tho

jnz tuning is the only one i tried that was worth it. then i believe it would have to be fidanza and thats because i think thats the only one out there at the moment

well i can take pics tomm with the shifter in first gear so that you can see the throw.

Great! I'd really appreciate it! You think you could take off the 3 screws and pop the console off to get one pic of the whole assembly???

I had bought a cheap ebay short shift kit because mine was like a joystick when i got it. I would be happy to make/buy a better kit that makes it more stiff.
I will be watching this thread and see how it goes.

I am most likely going to be sending mine in to be made this upcoming week. I will post a detailed review of this shifter assembly with detailed pictures and possible video of the before and after sequence! So stay tuned!

Just an FYI for anyone that may be interested in doing this. JNZ has made it clear that they do not supply the 2 main parts that are need to make the 1g short shifter. They need these 2 pieces from a 93-99 3000gt or Stealth 5 or 6 speed. They let me know that they would be more than happy to make me one if I supplied the 2 parts that are highlighted red in the picture I attached.

Attachments

• IMG_4264.jpg
    IMG_4264.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 473
I have the JNZ short shifter also:

Comparison vs stock:

In car:

I also have solid shifter base and cable bushings installed. There is pretty much no play in the shifter and a good solid "thunk" when you change gears. I've been experimenting with different shift knobs and heights to get the feel I want.

Comparison vs stock:

In car:

I also have solid shifter base and cable bushings installed. There is pretty much no play in the shifter and a good solid "thunk" when you change gears. I've been experimenting with different shift knobs and heights to get the feel I want.

Thank you so much for that!!! I really cant wait to get mine now!!!! :thumb:

Comparison vs stock:

In car:

well thanks for putting up some pics guess i wont have to mine up now,LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back