The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

all black 4G63

Proven Member
Aug 5, 2019
Chicago, Illinois
Does anyone know if the reed switch input to the ECM has any major impact on engine management? i.e. idle, ignition timing, fuel control, poor performance, etc. ? I am contemplating if I need to wire it in or not.

I am working with a stock ECM set up attempting to wear in my motor. However, the instrument cluster, ECM, engine harness is only temporary until the motor finishes wearing in.

Thank you for the information

I am going to take a educated guess you are referring to the speed sensor input? If so no it doesn't have any effect on how your car will run.

I can think of 2 things it would possibly affect:
1 - launch control. I believe ECMLink uses the speed sensor input to determine when to switch from the normal rev limiter to the launch rev limiter
2 - coasting fuel cut. This isn't a huge deal, but it could affect driveability somewhat. With no speed input it would always think the car is stopped and never go into a fuel cut mode when coasting.

Those are the only 2 I can think of off the top of my head.

My 1ga had a broken speedo drive once, and it caused me severe idle control issues.
I dont know why never looked into it once the speedo went down drove it to the shop and fixed it.
But it was not happy during the ordeal.

thank you very much for the info. i guess it will not be that bad to run my speedo cable and reed switch sense circuit if i'm going to use the IPC anyways,

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back