1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

General 1G REED SWITCH INPUT

Posted by all black 4G63, Oct 22, 2020

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. all black 4G63

all black 4G63 Probationary Member

Joined Aug 5, 2019
    Chicago, Illinois
    Does anyone know if the reed switch input to the ECM has any major impact on engine management? i.e. idle, ignition timing, fuel control, poor performance, etc. ? I am contemplating if I need to wire it in or not.

I am working with a stock ECM set up attempting to wear in my motor. However, the instrument cluster, ECM, engine harness is only temporary until the motor finishes wearing in.

Thank you for the information

Street Build 427  3

1990 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  2. TeamFury

TeamFury Proven Member

Joined Mar 5, 2008
    Wakefield, Kansas
    I am going to take a educated guess you are referring to the speed sensor input? If so no it doesn't have any effect on how your car will run.

Drag Race Build 5K  1

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    9.26 @ 147 · 1G DSM
  3. yokotabrat

yokotabrat Proven Member

Joined Mar 11, 2004
    Longmont, Colorado
    I can think of 2 things it would possibly affect:
    1 - launch control. I believe ECMLink uses the speed sensor input to determine when to switch from the normal rev limiter to the launch rev limiter
    2 - coasting fuel cut. This isn't a huge deal, but it could affect driveability somewhat. With no speed input it would always think the car is stopped and never go into a fuel cut mode when coasting.

Those are the only 2 I can think of off the top of my head.

1K  2

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.705 @ 107.660 · 1G DSM
    steve likes this.
  4. wrencher

wrencher Proven Member

Joined Nov 20, 2005
    Chicago, Illinois
    My 1ga had a broken speedo drive once, and it caused me severe idle control issues.
    I dont know why never looked into it once the speedo went down drove it to the shop and fixed it.
    But it was not happy during the ordeal.

5. all black 4G63

all black 4G63 Probationary Member

Joined Aug 5, 2019
    Chicago, Illinois
    thank you very much for the info. i guess it will not be that bad to run my speedo cable and reed switch sense circuit if i'm going to use the IPC anyways,

Street Build 427  3

1990 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 1G DSM