The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1g rear brake caliper compatibility? mine seized

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lasershark

Proven Member
May 17, 2013
over yander, Idaho
hello guys...

My rear driver brake caliper is rusted bad and froze up, junk yards here have no awd 1g's. So before I buy some new ones ($$$---ouch) I was wondering if there happened to be any other cars that have compatible or the same calipers. I have searched but seems most people are only interested in the fronts. I know I probably out of luck but its worth a shot right :thumb:

Thanks Guys!

Plus the guide pins and the lock pin become corroded and stick. You can clean out the holes the pins go in, clean up the guide pin, apply grease and you're good to go.

the piston froze up while half the brake pad was on the rotor, the previous owner lost a bolt or forgot to put it in, so it swiveled up while I was braking and froze half way on half way off. got of work tried to compress the piston with a c-clamp but no dice. after being stuck at work for 2.5 hours I was tired of it so I attempted to crack the bleeder and it snapped off (little rusty) They are pretty bad.

So your saying the piston doesn't compress? It screws in and out as it moves inward and outward?

So your saying the piston doesn't compress? It screws in and out as it moves inward and outward?

That is correct. Most auto parts stores and possibly harbor freight will sell this tool (approx $10), I've also have had pretty good luck with needle nose pliers, only downside to the pliers is that it takes a little longer

Attachments

• imagescaliperpistontool.jpg
    imagescaliperpistontool.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 76
You cannot use a c clamp on the rear calipers, they have integrated parking brake and have to be screwed in. You can rent the caliper tool from AutoZone, or you can use a pair of needle noise pliers. The two slots on the pistons are what you use to turn the pistons in cw.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back