The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G HEAD v.s 2G HEAD

SUPERECLIPSE757

Probationary Member
7
0
Jun 14, 2004
Yorktown, Virginia
ok so i buy this turbo off of this guy but hes a pretty honest guy and sounds like he knows what he is talking about and then try's to sell me a 1 g head for my 96 2g awd eclipse qnd says it adds 40 horse's to my car now when your in my shoes you want all the power you can get when there are all these built b20 crx's running around your neighborhood so just wanted to know if this is a fact or a statment

are 1g heads a good mod for a 2g awd does it add or minus power

:dsm: :thumb:
 

ZyklonBZombie

Proven Member
217
0
Oct 20, 2002
Stamford, Texas
yes the head is better (flows better , bigger ports). is it a bolt on affair??? NO!!!!! it takes alot to make a 1g head work on your 2g ... i would look into other mods first. i don't think the 1g head would give 40 horses anyway ... maybe more like 10 or 15 at most.
 

Tallen

Proven Member
2,739
7
May 28, 2002
Ashburn, Virginia
Port the exhaust out (match it to the gasket)...It should be cheap or free depending on who you know. Get a 2G exhaust manifold so your newly ported head will have a nice smooth transition, then realize that it will not give you any horsepower until you upgrade your turbo, IC piping, BOV, etc. The 2G head is grossly under-rated.
 

44pirate

Proven Member
930
7
Jun 23, 2002
CAPE CORAL, Florida
Tallen said:
Port the exhaust out (match it to the gasket)...It should be cheap or free depending on who you know. Get a 2G exhaust manifold so your newly ported head will have a nice smooth transition, then realize that it will not give you any horsepower until you upgrade your turbo, IC piping, BOV, etc. The 2G head is grossly under-rated.
Grossly under-rated :thumb: You can port a 2g head alot more then a 1g head. If you were getting a ported 2g head, I would get the intake port matched to a 1g Intake and go with a 1g intake. My .02 :thumb:
 

4g64GST

Proven Member
197
0
Jan 29, 2004
Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
Mitsu made the ports smaller on the 2g to help with lag.

yes the 1g flows more because of bigger ports (great for drag)

the 2g smaller ports less lag (great for the street)

depends what you want

my .02
 

hornetsnest

Proven Member
134
0
Dec 21, 2003
Chesapeake, Virginia
4g64GST said:
Mitsu made the ports smaller on the 2g to help with lag.

yes the 1g flows more because of bigger ports (great for drag)

the 2g smaller ports less lag (great for the street)

depends what you want

my .02
:thumb: yep

Also why 2g's have smaller turbos and higher compression pistons...all in the efford to reduce lag and make the car more "streetable" for normal drivers.
 

DSMeclipse4G63

Proven Member
1,595
0
Mar 10, 2003
columbia, Maryland
4g64GST said:
Mitsu made the ports smaller on the 2g to help with lag.

yes the 1g flows more because of bigger ports (great for drag)

the 2g smaller ports less lag (great for the street)

depends what you want

my .02

The 2g ports being smaller is for better low end, they didnt design are cars to be redlined every time. The cams in the 1g head alone is an upgrade, so match that with bigger better ports and better all around flow and Id say a stock 1g head and intake manifold with 2g exhaust on a otherwise stock setup Id say it would be any where from 20-40hp to the flywheel, remeber the magnus has added around 40hp alone so a intake mani, throttle bodie and head that flow ALOT more will yield noticable gains. But thats just a stock car, start flowing more exhaust, boost and fuel and the gains will increase as well.
Andrew

ps on the t25 at 13psi the 1g throttle bodie alone made signifacant gains alone
 

talonted_one

Proven Member
846
0
Oct 15, 2002
Jacksonville, North_Carolina
I dont know if many of you are aware of this but, the 2G head is more efficent than its predecessor. It has a better designed combustion chamber so I have been told. True if you are building a budget street screamer go with the 1g head set up. From what I understand the BIG BOY DSM guys actually use a 2G head so they can form the bowels exactly how they want. Combine that with the better combustion chamber I say you have a winning combination.


I am not saying go with a 2G head or a 1G head Im just going off of the facts. If you were to ask me what I went with...Of course I went with the 2G head gasket matched head to a magnus 1G manifold.
 

boostedinaz

DSM Wiseman
3,837
16
Dec 22, 2002
Scottsdale, Arizona
I know as far as porting goes that the person doing it will want to use a 2G head. It has more meat in it so they can shape there port the way they want. On a 1G they can really only make it bigger and do minimal shaping.

Michael
:talon: :laser:
 

DSMeclipse4G63

Proven Member
1,595
0
Mar 10, 2003
columbia, Maryland
talonted_one said:
I dont know if many of you are aware of this but, the 2G head is more efficent than its predecessor. It has a better designed combustion chamber so I have been told. True if you are building a budget street screamer go with the 1g head set up. From what I understand the BIG BOY DSM guys actually use a 2G head so they can form the bowels exactly how they want. Combine that with the better combustion chamber I say you have a winning combination.


I am not saying go with a 2G head or a 1G head Im just going off of the facts. If you were to ask me what I went with...Of course I went with the 2G head gasket matched head to a magnus 1G manifold.

Both are hemispherical combustion chambers, meant for high end high rpm, high torque, slow burn with poor low end. So using small ports would give the high end so descent low end. As far as RRE is concerned they would agree with you as would I, a 2g head with a decent port job would flow as much or more and would be nice fit on a 7 bolt.
Andrew
 

SUPERECLIPSE757

Probationary Member
7
0
Jun 14, 2004
Yorktown, Virginia
undefinedundefinedundefined :dsm: ok as of today i have these mods done to my stock 96 awd since purchased in march 18 inch adr rims with toyo proxies , small ported 16 g (5 k miles) ported o2 housing ported exhaust manafold , 3 inch downpipe all the way back , spec 6 puck cluth , a.c.t lightned flywheel ,lightned pressure plate , blitz blow off, steiron front mount , 98 headlight bumper conversion(had to get rid of the smile )
 

SUPERECLIPSE757

Probationary Member
7
0
Jun 14, 2004
Yorktown, Virginia
:thumb: what should i do next ....? battle of the imports is less then 20 days away and im trying to run at least a low 14 this is my first time with this car on track and im boosting 13-15 on it ussauly 13 would it be safe to go 17 on track i dont want to hurt the car i have 1 of those xs boost controllers to by the way (under the hood) 92 k on the car too
 

dsmayhem

Proven Member
319
0
May 21, 2003
Phoenix, Arizona
SUPERECLIPSE757 said:
undefinedundefinedundefined :dsm: ok as of today i have these mods done to my stock 96 awd since purchased in march 18 inch adr rims with toyo proxies , small ported 16 g (5 k miles) ported o2 housing ported exhaust manafold , 3 inch downpipe all the way back , spec 6 puck cluth , a.c.t lightned flywheel ,lightned pressure plate , blitz blow off, steiron front mount , 98 headlight bumper conversion(had to get rid of the smile )

SUPERECLIPSE757 said:
:thumb: what should i do next ....? battle of the imports is less then 20 days away and im trying to run at least a low 14 this is my first time with this car on track and im boosting 13-15 on it ussauly 13 would it be safe to go 17 on track i dont want to hurt the car i have 1 of those xs boost controllers to by the way (under the hood) 92 k on the car too

What does any of that have to do with a 1g vs 2g head? And why cant you post all of that at once LOL?
 
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Top