The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1g head vs 2g head

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsxeclipse97

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 7, 2004
Cedar Park, Texas
Ok i know the main differences between these two head but my question is are all of the oil passages and water passages the same between the two? If not this may be my my car is leaking oil or the shop just put the head gasket on wrong or something.

The oil and coolant passages are the same in regard how it mates to the block. There should be no leak on the mating surfaces unless your head is warped or the head gasket is bad.

Where is the leak coming from exactly?

That sounds like a bad head gasket. If there is any oil above those parts or areas, it is most likely a bad valve cover gasket.

I would check the head stud torque and if that is okay, you may need to change your head gasket and/or see if the head is warped.

yeah the head studs werent torqed down right at some of them were really loose and now the oil leak slowed down but it still leaking oil. so we figured that the oil made groves in the head gasket so it can pass through there.

Most of the time, when you put a head on, you go out and drive it around and then re-check the torque. If I were you I would get a new headgasket and clean both the block and the head.

Not true, it sucks because I know a small few that were under that impression. Thats why it is good to check that out when you have a bad leak. Honestly, you only really do that after some sever abuse on the motor and you overheated it.

No i didn't over heat it but it has leaked since i got it back. the people who did the motor just did a bad job and it wouldn't even start when i got it back from them because the timing was wrong. So now its leaking oil after i got the timing redone but i have not been abusing it cause of the oil leak.

It doesn't necessarily mean that, they could have machined it wrong or the surface is too ruff.
Thats why I am using a regular composite gasket instead of a MLS gasket. But, the surfaces need to be clean and the toque need to be set properly.

That is the gasket im going to use. I was going to go with a felpro gasket and some arp head studs. Im not planning on going any higher than the evo3 16g so i don't think im going to need more than that.

Well those aren't leaking thankfully but putting oil in and keeping it full is becoming a chore and its not cheap by any means. Not to mention the someking at stop lights is crazy.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back