The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G head vs. 1G head?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groomz

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 29, 2002
Texas, Texas
From searching I know that the 1G head flows more from the factory than a 2G head. My question is it worth it to go for a 1G head w/ a full port & polish vs. getting the same amount of work done to a 2G head? I am shooting for 400+hp. It will be a street car for the most part, w/ little if no drag racing. Is there any machine work necessary for a 2G head to fit a 6 bolt motor? Thanks for any info! :thumb:

I have often wondered the same thing...but I think I read on a place that builds performance heads, that the way the ports in the 2g and 1g heads are different...its not just that the 1g is bigger, it has a slightly different path...so if your shooting for 400, then you might as well go 1g cause its not really gonna be much more..

ive always heard that a port+polished 2g head is better than a p+p 1g head. stock for stock.. 1g will give ya more top end.

Lets say I get a race ported and polished 2G head with Crower springs and titanium retainers. Same price for a 1G or 2G head, does it really matter? I've searched and read that most power gains from porting and polishing a cylinder head come from fixing manufacturer mistakes/imperfections. So a well ported and matched 2G should be good for some extra power. I do know that the 2G heads have better cooling passages than 1G heads, but I don't know if that means anything in the long run. :confused:

:dsm: :laser: :talon:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back