The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2g head vs 1g heads

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Numba1cuban

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 10, 2005
Miami, Florida
Hi, well down here in miami there is this place called Speed Injected and they specialize in getting power out of eclipse engines. I called because my car walked on me and i told him i would be doing a 6 bolt swap and i wanted to get a pro's say on what he thought about doing the swap. He told me that i should do the swap but use the 7bolt heads because they were better for lower horsepower engines but that if i wanted a drag car that then i should stay with the 6bolt head. He said i would eliminate the wiring problem for the cas sensor and not have to relocate the spark plug coil and i was not going to get a check engine light. Have you guys ever heard this before?

I do know that the 1G head has a higher flow rate than the 2G steep angle head. He is likely correct in this instance but I have heard of many high-powered DSM's running on the 2G head. Maybe someone else can clarify a little further. :cool:

what do you guys recommend should i take his advice andget a 6bolt and swap the 2g heads in it? I know that there are some "misfire" issues with this swap. does the misfire hurt your engine? i wouldnt think so but just want to check.

thanks

I disagree, that's like saying T25 is better than 16g because it spools faster. Most people port their 2g head to match the 1g intake. I say go with 1g.

Ugh, this is a viscious question.

You probably will not make enough HP to max out a 2G head and it will be alot easier to work with a 2G head on a 1G block. Less BS and less parts to buy!

the misfire is from the lack of a crank angle sensor on a 6bolt. so with either head ya will still get it. ( ya still have to use the cam angle sensor to provide the crank signal )

basic thoughts .. stock for stock.
1g head = better top end
2g head = better hi end

2g head's flow better.. 1g heads flow more.

1G head intake ports are too large. The floor is too low with respect to the valves. You need a more direct shot at the valve. A 2G head has this. Porting a 2G head to match a 1G intake manifold is idiotic. Doing some subtle port work with a flow bench on a 2G head is a great way to make a head that will outflow a 1G head.

^^^ exactly... i am performing the 2g head on a 6bolt as we speak and there are a few things to watch out for before doing the swap. but nonetheless yes the 2g head does flow better as already mentioned and yes it is because of how the intake air hits the intake valve. (i beleive i said that right)
Yea porting the 2g head to match the 1g intake manifold is very dumb, my buddy who just spent a world of money on rebuilding his 1g motor bought a 2g head and had it ported to match his 1g manifold, the port work is horrible because doing this requires you to hog out the ports in the head, which completely defeats the purpose of the 2g head design, and the design has to be good because, come on, its the same head on the EVO's (pretty much)
the reason the 1g head "flows more" is due to the fact that the 1g's came with more aggressive cams, bigger throttle body, and the most obvious the better flowing manifold. lets say you take a stock 1g head with a SMIM versus a 2g head with 1g cams 1g TB and SMIM alot of you would be suprised by the results I would love to see someone do a flowbench on that it would be interesting.
as far as the CAS i dont know electronics... LoL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back