The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1g vs 2g head

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laser001

20+ Year Contributor
May 22, 2002
Iowa
Are there any differences between the 1g and 2g heads? And also is there any differences between the heads on a turbo vs an NA 4g63? I have a 1g turbo and think the valve guide seals might be going bad but I have a 2g NA car I can get the head off and wondered if it is different or could bolt right up.

both turbo, and non-turbo 1g cars had the 4g63, unless you had the base model with the 1.8L. Both heads are the same. The 1g head flows better than the 2g, but they will still bolt up. EXCEPT, all the non-turbo 2g's have an entirely different engine called the 420A, which is built by chrysler, not mitsubishi. So you would not be able to bolt a 2g N/A head to any 1g car.

2g turbo head wont just drop onto a 1g turbo block - all the holes would need to be drilled out 1mm larger.

Originally posted by EHeye
And the 1G NT head has different cams than the turbo 1G, as well their is no point to put 2G head on 1G, 1G head flows much better!

this is true but if he has the money the 2G head is the way to go...there is more meat on the 2g head so a machinist can shape the runners and bowels to the best possible form....but that is mainly for high end race heads.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back