The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

1G 1G head or 2G head

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a91eagletalon

Supporting Member
Aug 24, 2005
Norfolk, Nebraska
Just wanted to get a few options

Doing some part changes

Parts I changing are going to kelford 280/288 cams and going to a 6062 Precision ,dnp exaust manifold with tial 38mm external wastgate

What head you think will work best with this setup both heads are ported

I was also wondering with head would help bring the power band lower in the RPM range

Thanks
MJP

I'd say the 2g but if you've got one ported and it's already off that's what I'd use honestly.

2g is better for most. Only reason to switch is if you can go with either one with little to no effort than choose 2g. If you aren't one of the top 10 fastest dsms in the world you will be better off with 2g. Both heads maxed out are so close that the only people who will make it worth having a 1g head are people where .01 second in the quarter might win or lose them first place at an event.

This whole topic is like beating a dead horse, how many posts on Dsm forums does one need on the subject? This had been discussed in depth for years now, a few minutes of searching will yield thousands of posts on the subject. First you might as well ask everyone if they like Trump or Clinton? everyone will have their own opinion based on what they are currently running, most have never ran both setups back to back , let alone have any dyno results to back anything up. People by nature dont like to be wrong and that will influence their opinion, the dyno of course has no opinion. Second, if the head was not "ported" (and I use that word lightly on car forums) by a bonafied PROFESSIONAL on a flow bench then I would toss it up for sale as a good core as it likely will make less power than an untouched head in parts of the powerband.

This whole topic is like beating a dead horse, how many posts on Dsm forums does one need on the subject? This had been discussed in depth for years now, a few minutes of searching will yield thousands of posts on the subject. First you might as well ask everyone if they like Trump or Clinton? everyone will have their own opinion based on what they are currently running, most have never ran both setups back to back , let alone have any dyno results to back anything up. People by nature dont like to be wrong and that will influence their opinion, the dyno of course has no opinion. Second, if the head was not "ported" (and I use that word lightly on car forums) by a bonafied PROFESSIONAL on a flow bench then I would toss it up for sale as a good core as it likely will make less power than an untouched head in parts of the powerband.

Flow benches are more beneficial on n/a cars as it actually simulates the correct air flow. It's not as accurate on a forced induction engine

That being said, a flow bench will tell you if the individual ports are equally ported the same amount

That being said, a flow bench will tell you if the individual ports are equally ported the same amount
Which makes all the difference in the world. Our ecu's make calculations based on the assumption that all 4 cylinders flow the same. So, if one cylinder flows 10% more air than the average of all 4, it runs 10% leaner.

the 2g has better port entry and flows very close to the 1g mass flow, while maintaining much higher low and mid lift velocities vs the 1g. this helps off boost driving, and will decrease spool times generally.

1g heads have a horrible short turn and are more of a "sewer port" design (reference fords tunnel port heads for info). they still function fairly close to the 2g, but lose that low and midlift flow, while being capable of maintaining a high mass flow amount.

stock for stock (turbos kept in mind here) the 2g is a superior design, hence why the evos are closely designed like 2g heads. now if you were upgrading turbos, to a certain point a 2g can still be more beneficial. this is where the flow bench comes in, giving you references to calculate how much each cylinder can flow, and potential choke points when you would either need more mass flow to make a higher power number. porting adds a whole other ball of wax to consider.

alot of the debate is going to depend on what you use the car for. a drag race only setup "could" benefit from a 1g head, id say with a manual trans. a daily/weekend warrior would benefit from the higher port velocity and would get an auto up on the converter faster as well as help aid in spool up. then again a 5 speed wouldnt be bad with this either as your pull per gear will have that nice meat in the middle of it.

most of this is just my 2c and mostly based on my reading and experiences both with these cars and others.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back