1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G 1G gauge cluster pin out?

Posted by miden, Apr 23, 2006

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. miden

miden Proven Member

Joined Apr 8, 2003
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    A few weeks ago, I purchaced my first 1G, a 91, some assembly required. Previous owners decided that the engine bay was too cluttered and cut away pesky wires that they deemed unnecessary. I want to reconnect the coolant temp gauge sensor and the oil pressure sensor. Does anyone have a 1G gauge cluster pin out or wiring diagram? I still have the sensors/senders, but I need to know where to connect them.

Thanks,

-Mike

2. miden

miden Proven Member

Joined Apr 8, 2003
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    So it seems like there is no public pinout for the 1G gauge cluster, so I spent some time with an ohmmeter and an old cluster and figured it out (to some degree...). I didn't spend a bunch of time figuring out the startup circuitry so I just labeled those pins "startup". (You know how when you put the key in the ignition and turn to acc the dummy lights light up, etc...)

Connector 1 (Right as viewed from the back...)

1 Oil Pressure ground
    2 Turn signal (Both) ground
    3 Left Turn Signal
    4 Light +
    5 Light -
    6 Boost Signal
    7 Cruise Control Light
    8 Check Engine Light
    9 Coolant Temperature (Signal)
    10 Tach Gnd.
    11 Tach Signal.
    12 Oil Pressure (Signal)
    13 Gnd.
    14 Startup (Likely ground...)
    15 Oil Pressure (Dummy light)
    16 Coolant (Dummy)

Connector 2 (Left as viewed from the back...)

17 Startup
    18 Startup
    19 Emergency Brake
    20 Fuel Low
    21 Startup
    22 Door Ajar
    23 Gnd
    24 No Connect
    25 Antilock brake malfunction
    26 Fuel level (Signal)
    27 Right turn signal
    28 High Beam +
    29 High Beam -
    30 Securtiy
    31 Seatbelt +
    32 Seatbelt -

The pins labeled +/- could be reversed. One is held low, the other is pulled high to turn on the light. I didn't worry about which was which.

No promises on the correctness of this. I did my best but I am tired and I do make mistakes.

Finally, this data was taken from a 1G gauge cluster PN MB680684.

-M

jamel16 and MY1GDSM like this.
  3. GSX_Dan

GSX_Dan Proven Member

Joined Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Also the center pin on the left side connector is the speedo out signal going to ECU, CRUISE, & TRANS ECU white with yellow stripe

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2019
  4. steve

steve DSM Wiseman

Joined Feb 3, 2002
    St. Charles, Illinois