The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1g DSM ECU Compatibility

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white92tsi

Proven Member
Mar 15, 2014
De Soto, Kansas
I have a 92 Talon TSI that I would like to get ecmlink into. I've been looking locally for an eeprom ECU and was wondering what other cars I could source one from. Does anyone have a list, or a link to one?

Thanks.

I also ran into that problem instead of searching for an eprom ecu I contacted ecmtuning and they converted my non eprom to an eprom, very reasonable prices :thumb:

That's always an option. I have an extra ECU I could send in without too much pain. Except for the extra price tag. I'm also a bit concerned about durability. I dont know how much I trust a board soldered onto the processor in the ECU.

What cars can I check for the ECU? Only talons, or will other DSM cars in the same range work?

The only other option are the 1989 Colt/Mirage turbo (4G61T), or the Galant VR4. Neither of which are easy to find.

90-94 Talon/Eclipse turbo...that's pretty much it. I wouldn't worry about the ecmlink non-eprom conversion. If they sell it, then it's going to last :thumbup:.

You also have the option of going with a 2g eprom ecu. They're more common than the 1G, and you get some benefits. You just have to get a 2g knock sensor and make a wire harness adapter because the connectors are totally different.

If you don't care about that, ecmlink can convert your current non-eprom board for a pretty modest fee. Actually, it's about the same as buying a 1g eprom ecu, maybe a tad more.. but at least you know the ecu is going to work ;)

That's always an option. I have an extra ECU I could send in without too much pain. Except for the extra price tag. I'm also a bit concerned about durability. I dont know how much I trust a board soldered onto the processor in the ECU.

What cars can I check for the ECU? Only talons, or will other DSM cars in the same range work?

not trying to be rude, but you do understand thats all a factory eprom ecu is right? its a soldered on chip holder...in the same spot ecmlink solders their chip holder onto.

if you have a non-eprom, just have ecmlink socket it. it will be cheaper and work just fine.

In some cases you can find EPROMs here on tuners in the classifieds, I see them every so often.

The guys at ECMlink would install the EPROM just as if it was factory, they are professionals not a backyard business. No hack soldering jobs. Rounding up an older EPROM in good condition might be more trouble than it's worth.

I can see that membership in this forum isn't going to be much different than anywhere else... LOL.

No need to bash on me for wanting to find a solution that would give me a little more peace of mind than having my ECU modified for EPROM. I have no doubt the guys at ecmlink know what they're doing. One obvious benefit to getting an ECU that is already EPROM (but not socketed) is that I could get the socketing done locally and just order the v3 package. No need to deal with shipping (and waiting).

Just out of curiosity, if I'm going to be using ecmlink with this ECU, why is it necessary to get the ECU that matches the transmission type of my vehicle? I ask because my car had an auto to manual conversion done before I bought it and I'm wondering if the ECU's are much different. I believe I remember reading somewhere that the manual trans cars were given larger injectors and a few other things that, of course, would change the tune. But I would assume that this wouldn't matter if it's getting an aftermarket tuning system anyway.

Thanks again.

I can see that membership in this forum isn't going to be much different than anywhere else... LOL.

No need to bash on me for wanting to find a solution that would give me a little more peace of mind than having my ECU modified for EPROM. I have no doubt the guys at ecmlink know what they're doing. One obvious benefit to getting an ECU that is already EPROM (but not socketed) is that I could get the socketing done locally and just order the v3 package. No need to deal with shipping (and waiting).

Just out of curiosity, if I'm going to be using ecmlink with this ECU, why is it necessary to get the ECU that matches the transmission type of my vehicle? I ask because my car had an auto to manual conversion done before I bought it and I'm wondering if the ECU's are much different. I believe I remember reading somewhere that the manual trans cars were given larger injectors and a few other things that, of course, would change the tune. But I would assume that this wouldn't matter if it's getting an aftermarket tuning system anyway.

Thanks again.

Wasn't trying to bash you man, just reassuring your peace of mind.

Auto's came with 390cc I believe, 450cc for M/T. It's not so much that the
ECU matches the transmission, but the injectors. If you take a stock a/t ECU and try to put it in a stock M/T car it will be running your 450s like they were 390s, and vice versa. With dsmlink you set up your injector size regardless of what drivetrain it came from.

Thanks again.

It doesnt matter. My 90 awd 5 speed has a 91 awd auto ecu in it with link.

If you go stock for stock, then yes it will matter. With link you correct the injector size anyways.

Thanks again.
Trust me when I say that sending an ecu to ECMLink is more than just a socket job. I sent in my Colt GT turbo ecu for socketing (it's factory EPROM) even though I could do it myself pretty easily. They fixed a couple bad traces from a previous cap explosion (that was poorly repaired), replaced the caps, and made sure the ecu was 100% perfect before sending it back to me. The price was reasonable, and the service was excellent.

You can use a non turbo EPROM ecu and when you send it to link they will add the knock board.. When I contacted them about this, it was cheaper to do it that way than to have had a non EPROM board socketed

I knew there were some differences between the auto and manual transmission cars. I figured installing ecmlink would make it not matter though.

So, what years and cars should I look at for an n/a eprom ecu? Just keeping my options open.

Thanks.

I knew there were some differences between the auto and manual transmission cars. I figured installing ecmlink would make it not matter though.

So, what years and cars should I look at for an n/a eprom ecu? Just keeping my options open.

Thanks.

Nvm, just remembered you said you already have a 2nd ecu

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back