The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G 1g 1.8L 4g37 lifter tick cause and fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilson76

Probationary Member
May 19, 2022
Seattle, Washington
After rebuilding my 4g37 and installing new lifters I noticed I still had that annoying lifter tick. I removed the valve cover and ran the motor for a few seconds while watching what was happening with the valve train. I noticed that all the exhaust side rockers where spraying oil out of there oil relief hole on the top of the rocker directly above the lifters like a foot into the air while the rockers on the intact side had oil dribbling out of the hole with the exception of the the #1 intake rocker that had no oil coming out of it.

Low and behold that the #1 intake rocker was the one ticking. I removed the rocker assembly looking for.a clogged oil journal only to find it clean and unobstructed. I then took a look at the oiling path used by the rockers and lifters. The oil comes up from the head on the exhaust side at the back of the motor, through a tiny 1/16" hole then up past the rocker shaft bolt into the rocker shaft where it goes to all the exhaust rocker arms. There is a small 1/8" hole going across to the intake rocker shaft where it then goes to the intake rockers.

Deciding that thus was wholly insufficient I first drilled out the tiny hole to about 3/16" and then drilled the the cross hole to the same size, I then chamfered all the holes, cleaned up and metal shavings, reassembled the whole thing, and reinstalled it and no rocker tick to be heard.

Oil pressure is still good and after driving the car for over 300 miles all is still good. So the infamous 1.8L lifter tick is a result of a bad design and just needs a little modification to eliminate it for good.

Hope this helps you. The whole process is relatively easy and can be done in about an hour or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back