1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Street Build 1998 Gs DD project

Year:
Model/Trim:
Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. 609DSM

609DSM Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2019
    Princeton, New Jersey

Street Build 209  1

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    BLACK'98DSM likes this.
  2. 609DSM

609DSM Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2019
    Princeton, New Jersey
    Making progress on the car.

Things done so far:
    1. New tires - continental extreme contact dws 06
    2. Replaced head gasket with MLS one(thought it blew out, needed to be changed anyway)
    3. Replace old DC sports header and down pipe with new one (old one rusted entirely through the down pipe) was also giving me idle/performance issues
    4. Rack and pinion replaced (old one took a huge dookie on me)
    5. Rewired used reverse lights because previous owner decided to chop the OG off
    6. Ripped out junk old horn that didnt work and replaced with pair of hella horns.
    7. Cleaned and regasketed the EGR (had idle issues, improved the idle immensely, still very slight surging though)

If anyone wants to know what I've done and wanna see pictures I can post them. This car is in bad shape due to rust, but its my only car and its teaching me a lot so I'm going to enjoy it until the wheels fall off!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019

Street Build 209  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    MeteorBurn and BLACK'98DSM like this.
  3. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    I bet that car's still got a lot of life left in it. As bad as it may look, I almost guarantee that it's solid. Unless it spent most of it's life on the beach or in the ice then you should be fine for years to come. Rule of thumb: treat it right, and it will treat you right. Keep your maintenance up.

Do you have plans to keep modding the car? Paint maybe? Speed mods? Or are you just going to leave it alone, and take care of it as a DD?

Road Race Build 2K  24

fwd · manual · 2G DSM

479  5

2012 Murray Explorer Dune
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

375  4

2009 Troy Bilt Bronco
    MeteorBurn and 609DSM like this.
  4. 609DSM

609DSM Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2019
    Princeton, New Jersey
    Well currently waiting to see what I get from taxes (have 1 kid but I'm a server so I usually owe) and my first thing is to get a gsx and a house.

I plan on keeping this as a DD as long as I can, its broke down on me a handful of times but after looking inside the engine it confirmed my suspicion, this engine is still running strong! I want to replace what I can that has rust and get the side skirts put back on and just keep maintaining it. If a day comes when I have the money and another solid DD (I plan on buying a clean GS in the future for a DD) I might just slap a turbo on it, rebuild the engine so it can hold and just send it LOL

Street Build 209  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. 609DSM

609DSM Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2019
    Princeton, New Jersey
    As of right now it's just maintain maintain. This car has truly taught me so much, and everything I've done myself (except reinstall the alternator, didnt have the proper tools at the time)

Next on my list is full bearing hub assembly replacement and new rotors and restoring the calipers, she should be solid after that. Still have idle issues, I believe it's the IAC or the evap leak. Might just take it to a shop for the evap leak since I dont have a smoke machine, it's a p0455 btw for reference.

Street Build 209  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. 609DSM

609DSM Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2019
    Princeton, New Jersey
    Oh I also picked up an oil pressure switch as a possible solution to my oil leak since my car will only leak oil after it has been running and if I just drive around the block and back it barely leaks.

Street Build 209  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    BLACK'98DSM likes this.
  7. 609DSM

609DSM Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2019
    Princeton, New Jersey
    20200101_145012.jpg 20200101_145002.jpg 20200102_135023.jpg 20200102_135016.jpg 20200102_124236.jpg 20200102_124229.jpg did some work on my lights. Before and after. Still getting the hang of sanding/painting. Total cost wasn't a whole lot, maybe like 5 dollars worth of supplies used.

Still trying to figure out my idle issue, also sometimes getting hesitation when stepping on the throttle hard. I believe it is fuel related. Ran some seafoam through my pcv port in the intake side and threw some in the gas tank for good measure, might need a new fuel pump/bladder/fuel filter...

Street Build 209  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  8. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    I have a new fuel pump still in the box. I don't even know if it is meant for DSM's, but I can send you the part number for looking it up if it turns out you do need one. I would let you have it for really cheap, as RockAuto sent it to me for free on accident :).

Road Race Build 2K  24

fwd · manual · 2G DSM

479  5

2012 Murray Explorer Dune

375  4

2009 Troy Bilt Bronco
    609DSM likes this.
  9. 609DSM

609DSM Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2019
    Princeton, New Jersey
    Possibly. I'm just eagerly waiting for my tax forums so I can get tax return and then start looking for a gsx to buy.

I have suspicions that my car was neglected immensely by the previous owner, not just body stuff but mechanical issues they just decided to deal with. It's too much honestly. Doing all this work and research for something that shouldn't honestly be on the road.. really sucks but it's all I got so I gotta make it work for now unfortunately.

Street Build 209  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    BLACK'98DSM likes this.