The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1998 Eclipse GSX Automatic Problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitsubishiown

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 11, 2012
Davison, Michigan
Hey guys I literally just got home from driving an hour and a half to go pick up my 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX Automatic with 83,000 miles and I noticed that the voltage constantly goes up and down when driving depending on how high the rpms are. When I am slowing down and all the way stopped the A/T Temp, Brake, and battery light come on slightly. They are not super bright like when they are when you turn the key to the on position but they are lite up nontheless. And it kind of seems like it wants to die when you come to a stop in drive and I notice the voltage needle goes almost all the way down. The guy said he had the alternator changed not too long ago so I am not sure :/

Do you have a way to monitor voltage besides the needle (i.e. DSMlink, voltage gauge)? Sounds like the voltage regulator could be bad. Ask me how I know :(

Yeah I have a voltage reader what do I do with it now lLOL? Like where would I test?

I can take it up to autozone and have them test the alternator :)

How much is a voltage regulator normally and how hard of an install?

Okay thanks man! I hope its only an alternator. I have heard of horror stories of people with DSMs going through alternators like water due to underlying problems, don't know if this is true but I hope that's not the case.

Okay guys. I got the alternator tested and the output fails but then I had the battery tested too and it failed also. They said the alternator when revving goes up to 14 but when it idles it drops down to about 11 which apparently it should be at 14 the whole time. The voltage regulator is inside the alternator correct? What are your guyses opinions on what is wrong? The battery looks pretty much brand new along with the alternator.

How would I test the alternator before I put it on? And the voltage regulator is in these alternators correct? My car is running like shit and the battery light,A/T Temp, and Brake light still come on for some reason.

there is no way to test it till you put it in the car, but if it is bad the store should except a return within 30 days. my friend returned all 3 of them for free exchanges... the voltage regulator is the piece that the wiring harness attaches to. so yes it is in the alternator. now also make sure that you have a good fuseable link in there as well. if you follow the power wire from the alternator back it will be connected to the fuseable link then to the battery. it should be 100a or a 60a fuse..

Thanks man a ton I am currently getting a new alternator put in along with checking the fuseable link. Other people on here told me it could be the ISC which is from what I looked up the idle stability control.

To answer your question, yes, the voltage regulator is in the alternator. I got one from advance auto that was bad out of the box and I had low voltage (on a new battery) and the next one I was pushing 18volts! Spewed acid everwhere. The one after that was fine.

When you buy a new alternator you can have it bench tested before you take it home. Make sure you put you have a fully charged battery in there as well... if it is not it will also cause the new alternator to fail shortly. It also helps to have your heat shields in place because the heat will kill an alternator like nobody's business (ask me how I know...) I think we're on alternator #4 or 5 on the GST.

Will I have to get an aftermarket heat shield or should there be one there already?
And after I had them put in a new alternator my belt is squealing either to loose or too tight?

Also does anyone know the part number for the ISC?

There should be one there already... it sort of wraps around the o2 housing and over the front of the turbo. It really does make a big difference. And my guess about your belts is probably too loose, but I'm not for sure.

Alright cool thank you! Do you happen to know the torque that it should be set at? Also I really need to get the part number for the ISC no one seems to know. I need to order it soon!

For the idle screw..Check our supporting vendors like STM.I know they have it.

Did you say 98 gsx auto..It sounds like the car deserves to be in Wisconsin, and not MI...;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back