The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1998 GSX Eclipse broken gas gage

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bensont

Probationary Member
Apr 3, 2014
Grand Rapids, Michigan
So when I got my GSX the gas gage was acting a bit strange, because it would only go up half way. But when I put gas in it one day the gas gage went compliantly down to E.

So I just figured it was the sensor in my gas tank. But now every now and then when I get in the car I see that the gage is back at half, and the car is off. Then when I turn on the car the gage slowly goes back down to E.

Does that mean that it is a problem with my gage? Because the tank should not be sending a signal to the gage at all when the car if off so the only other option that I see is that...also if it is the gage can I just buy a new cluster to fix it?

Thanks

It's probably the sending unit in the tank. If you have recently opened up the access plate to get to your pump for some reason, it's really easy to misaligned the float so it will not properly adjust. Also, even if you have not opened it up, the assembly is not very "sturdy". Mine was virgin when I opened it up and the float assembly was hanging off the plastic where the resistance circuit is suppose to be attached.

GL

It's probably the sending unit in the tank. If you have recently opened up the access plate to get to your pump for some reason, it's really easy to misaligned the float so it will not properly adjust. Also, even if you have not opened it up, the assembly is not very "sturdy". Mine was virgin when I opened it up and the float assembly was hanging off the plastic where the resistance circuit is suppose to be attached.

GL

Thanks, but why would the gauge still show a half tank even when the car is off?

Our fuel gauges don't drop to E when shut off. They stay at the current level. I will post a link soon for some answers I found when I had a gauge problem. Gotta push out the car I'm working on though for now.

Our fuel gauges don't drop to E when shut off. They stay at the current level. I will post a link soon for some answers I found when I had a gauge problem. Gotta push out the car I'm working on though for now.

Alright thanks, Do you know if I need two sending units sense I have a bi-sectioned tank?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back