The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G 1997 GST BOV hookup and what to look for?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desync

Probationary Member
Oct 15, 2019
Clanton, Alabama
Haven't owned an Eclipse since 2002 when I picked up my 2003 GS, going Saturday to hopefully bring home a 1997 GST, was wondering one question that someone pointed out to me, the BOV on the car seems to be on backwards and the black hose is just there not capped or plugged into the BOV, should I turn the BOV around and hook the black hose up to it?

Will be driving the car 3 hours back home, so what else should I look for in order to make sure it makes the drive back?

Will post pic of engine and video of it below

Engine Pic -
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Video -
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Cant see the pic, but to answer your question...yes

Attachments

• 20191031_090245.jpg
    20191031_090245.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 60
It doesn't look like its able to be recirculated. You will need an adapter. As long as the rubber hose on the pipe is plugged, youll be able to drive it. Soon after though, id replace that blow off valve with a good brand one. Those are horrible and leak and/or don't even open.

It has a bad miss at low rpm. That's prob why they're reving it when idle gets low. Might have issues at a stop but sounds like it should be fine on highway. 3 hours is a long drive so you might want to pick up a uhaul trailer. I'd do a compression test before paying.

+1 on the issue at low rpm but I think it's just a boost leak. If that recirc. hose isn't plugged, it's a massive boost leak post-maf. Plug it before you drive is my advice.

You might need a new bov with an adapter to be recirculated, luckily that stuff is relatively cheap. Even if you plug the recirc. hose, you'll run super rich with the bov venting to atmosphere.

Definitely try to get the recirculated if you can. That car is still running MAF so venting the BOV to atmosphere will cause issues during shifting.

Obviously check the fluids before the drive. Check the CV boots for tears and ball joints if you can. Listen for clunking from the suspension on the test drive. Keep an eye out for a CEL. Test the brakes. The current owner has definitely done some stuff that I wouldn't, but the engine bay looks sorted enough that I wouldn't be worried about anything under the hood that wouldn't show up during a compression test. At least not for the drive home, I mean.

Assuming that someone will be with you and driving a separate car back, bring some basic hand tools and you should be fine. 3 hours would be the shortest that I have ever driven to pick up a DSM, so if the car passes the sniff test and you want to buy it, I wouldn't me concerned. The longest drive for a purchase was 16 hours, by the way. Snow storm. Bald summer tires. Electrical problems. But I knew that going in.

+1 on the issue at low rpm but I think it's just a boost leak. If that recirc. hose isn't plugged, it's a massive boost leak post-maf. Plug it before you drive is my advice.

You might need a new bov with an adapter to be recirculated, luckily that stuff is relatively cheap. Even if you plug the recirc. hose, you'll run super rich with the bov venting to atmosphere.

This guy doesnt know much about the car, he bought it from a guy who used it as a daily, he said he has a 2nd BOV, but I was wondering why couldn't I just turn the current bov around and hook the black hose up to it? Or is that not an option? I'm buying the car as my daily driver

Appreciate the help, I'm gonna drive down Saturday morn and check it out and hopefully get to bring it home

On the other end of the spectrum, I found a 99 GST automatic with 203k miles or a 99 GSX automatic with 120k miles both of them $3000 each. Both about the same 3 hour drive

I would take a look at the 99 GSX, since its AWD AND AUTOMATIC.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back