The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

16g mbc turbo XS HPBC slow spool

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenuwine4g63

10+ Year Contributor
May 26, 2009
Charlotte, North_Carolina
I have a question. I just got finished doing a boost leak test and got all of them taken care of. My evo3 16g hits full boost at 3800 rpm on 10psi. Now with my actuator arm, will it cause a problem if it was not twisted to where it would slide onto the flapper. I have it where i have to pull it a little so it can hold the flapper shut. So now with my boost up to 15psi it hits full boost at 4500. So, next thing is im controlling boost with a turbo xs hpbc(high performance boost controller). Could you guys help me on this. Should i just get a hallman or search for other problems.

So you are saying you have to pull the actuator to get the flapper to shut on the wastegate? If so then yes that is a problem. The flapper should be shut until its been told to open. That should be the main problem. The boost controller will be ok for now, but the turbo xs is a bleeder style mbc that actually acts as a small boost leak. A ball and spring boost controller would be better, hallmans are very nice, but a simple nxs ball-spring boost controller will do the trick just fine.

So you are saying you have to pull the actuator to get the flapper to shut on the wastegate? If so then yes that is a problem. The flapper should be shut until its been told to open. That should be the main problem. The boost controller will be ok for now, but the turbo xs is a bleeder style mbc that actually acts as a small boost leak. A ball and spring boost controller would be better, hallmans are very nice, but a simple nxs ball-spring boost controller will do the trick just fine.

Man i love your car, but no. Like when i disconnect the actuator arm from the flapper, i have to pull the actuator arm to connect to the flapper to keep it shut. I cant just slide the actuator arm on the flapper when its disconnected i have to pull the actuator arm to reach the flapper(while closed) then slide it on with pressure against the flapper. Could that be the problem or could it be the turbo xs boost controller:confused:

Sounds like the wga is shimmed to try to hold the flapper shut...

I'm thinking it is the boost controller. The bleed type ones keep boost from hitting so hard which is nice on a FWD.

Sounds like the wga is shimmed to try to hold the flapper shut...

I'm thinking it is the boost controller. The bleed type ones keep boost from hitting so hard which is nice on a FWD.

Yea it kind of gradually spools until it hits full boost. I NEED that kick in the face boost out of nowhere not gradually pulling. How do you know if the wastegate is shimmed?

If the wastegate is shimmed there will be some washers in between where the wastegate bolts to the bracket on the turbo. Usually about 3 or so.
Try this, just disconnect the boost controller and run a line from your boost source directly to the wastegate and see if it spools any faster then. That will tell you if the boost controller is a problem.

If the wastegate is shimmed there will be some washers in between where the wastegate bolts to the bracket on the turbo. Usually about 3 or so.
Try this, just disconnect the boost controller and run a line from your boost source directly to the wastegate and see if it spools any faster then. That will tell you if the boost controller is a problem.

well yea it spools up at about 3600 rpms full boost. But i was thinking if it has to reach a higher rpm it would take longer. I dont remember it taking this long on my previous gst it hit 15 just as fast as it hit 10. I'll ###### just order a hallman es boost controller

If there is slack or your wastegate is staying open. You SHOULD ADD washers. You should shim it, so the wastegate stays closed more. This will get your BOOST up faster. If it is slightly open that is why you are seeing slow spool up.

If there is slack or your wastegate is staying open. You SHOULD ADD washers. You should shim it, so the wastegate stays closed more. This will get your BOOST up faster. If it is slightly open that is why you are seeing slow spool up.

ohh no its slamed tight i honestly believe its the mbc..it even has a o-ring that could be bad so i definetly think its that. Too much goin on with a simple controller

ohh no its slamed tight i honestly believe its the mbc..it even has a o-ring that could be bad so i definetly think its that. Too much goin on with a simple controller

I had the same prob... i think its your mbc .....jz take it apart...get a new o ring and put JB weld on the bleeder holes and put it back together :thumb: now it spools and boosts fine all day...and make sure when you put the mbc back together you remember to set it to stock psi then adjust after.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back