The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

$1100 Torque converter/ end clutch install?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsm1212

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 15, 2008
Seattle, Washington
So I think that my torque converter is going out ( wants to die when put into gear, slipping when downshifting) and so I plan on replacing it with an IPT restalled stocker. I also want to get the end clutches. Got ahold of a local shop to get an estimate for the cost to install these parts, and I was quoted $1100 for labor. Is this right? Seems like a whole lot to just install a torque converter and some end clutches. I don't know to install a torque converter but I think that I am going to learn. watched the end clutch install on IPT website and that doesn't seem to difficult at all. What do you guys think?

doesn't sound to bad to me, guess it all depends on where you live though. i called around just to see what it was going to cost me to have the clutch replaced in my Subaru (yes i know you are talking about a auto and i am talking about a manual but just trying to give you the general idea). if i didn't want to do it myself i was quoted $1200 at one place and $1600 at another. with a factory replacement not an upgrade... guess i know what i will be doing here in the near future...

ya thats what I thought couldn't believe that was the estimate. He made sure to note PARTS NOT INCLUDED. Guess I'll call around abit more or just start tearing it apart and do it myself

Call PINA Motorsports in Kent and see what Andre will charge you... Call English and ask what it would cost there. That'll give you a good honest figure of what a reputable shop charges for that work. I don't think the labor bill would run over $600 if that job rolled in here. I don't know how long the end clutch install takes. I've only had 1 auto and I never modded it.

I had a 700r4 trans out of my old Camaro that needed end clutches. Local shop wanted $1200 for just the rebuild. (Already had the rebuild kit) I would of had to take the trans out myself as well. I sold the car. Wasnt worth it.

Well I don't think it can be that bad to install a torque converter. Gonna have to do some searching and give it a shot. I don't think the end clutches will be a problem

well the trans is going to need to be droped to get to the Tq. and to some thats a pitta but for me, meh a few hours.

as for the end clutches, you can do that with the trans in the car. IPT sells the kit, and the book to walk you threw it, and there is a site out there that has a nice guide, and shouldn't take you more then a few hrs as well. Id call around as RvlutionMtrsprt said. Good luck.

Like said above The end clutches can be done with the trans in car. Also it shouldn't take much more then a hour to do the end clutches so.... You should know that if you watched the Video on ITP's website. But Yeah figure R&I labor on the trans to do the Tq.Con. plus maybe another hour or so for the end clutches doesn't sound right to me... and besides that's really not that hard... .Any reason you couldn't just do it yourself???

They only reason I was looking to get it done is because I am currently living in an apartment and don't have a great place to do it. But I got a buddy that will let me use his garage so hopefully next week i'll be able to get this done and save myself about $1100.

Especially you being FWD will make it much easier to get the transmission out. Read up and do it yourself, your pocket book will thank you and then you will know how to do it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back