The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

1.8L >> 2.0L T is it worth it?????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolany87

15+ Year Contributor
May 12, 2005
haslet, Texas
I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on switching from a 1.8L to a 2.0L turbo engine, i have new tranny and clutch, just need rest. If you think it would be worth it, and i am skilled just never swapped but can run wires and crap like that and mounts and stuff, then please let me know everythong or close to everything that i will need to do the swap. :dsm:

and if it isn't worth it then what about dropping a custom fabricated turbo kit onto my 1.8L?

to do the swap you need...
drivers side motor mount
2.0T ecu
2.0T wiring harness
6 bolt flywheel
turbo tranny
and supporting mods for engine exhaust etc.

for turbo 1.8 check out dsm1eights.com and there are many posts and stuff in there about it. :dsm:

buy a smashed up FWD turbo car, then you should have all the parts.

i've done the 2.0nt ---> Turbo swap, not that bad at all. but not sure about the 1.8 --> T

With the current pricing on vehicles and parts its just not very economical to do the swap considering you're left with a torque steering, tranny eating (if you keep the nt transmission and go to a 16g or bigger) monster that gets beat by most cars around town since your wheelspin is so bad. You're so much better off to just buy an awd now. Back when I did the swap it probably cost me around $2000 total for all the parts and various replacement parts I had to order up. You can buy a complete running awd for that now.

thanx for the info i would go buy a car if my parents would let me do it (im 17) but right now that is not my plan i want to have a 1.8 that at least keeps up with most cars on the road instead of me flooring it and going nowhere at all. im only looking for about 150-170 hp and the only way i can think of getting it without wasting gas into a supercharger is to turbo it and various other things such as ECU and exhaust which is there already and air intake which is there already

any other suggestions to how i may come by that much hp outta 1.8 would be very useful information.

n20 will add another 50hp for you. it'll help you keep up for a few weeks until that 1.8 pukes on ya. you can buy a used N20 setup

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back