The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Pulley Is Loose And Wobbles Is It Supposed To Do This???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyheck

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 21, 2004
spfld, Ohio
the belt that runs the alternator, and a couple other things, on the bottom pulley (the big one) i think its the crankshaft pulley, could be wrong, before i put the belt on, it was loose i could pull it clear out to the inner fenderwell under the hood but seems to hold in place, once the belt is on, is this normal? or broken? LOL

If its your crank pulley, then you need to replace it before it comes apart on you.

-Dallas J

Like Dallas J said, get that pulley fixed up. I just did a timing belt job on my car a week or so ago, got it going good, got everything put back together, took it for a spin and then this aweful sound from the engine bay. Pull back into my house (luckily only went around the block) pop the hood, and see the crank pulley wobbling back in forth backing farther and farther off of where it was supposed to be. My dad forgot to tighten the crank pulley bolt (dumb mistake we know). Took off the upper timing belt cover and it was chewed up inside. I felt the underside of the timing belt and it was chewed up. We took it back apart and find the balance shaft belt is completely torn to shreds. Wonderful, so it ended up getting a new balance shaft belt and timing belt after 5 miles of driving. It could have been worse... so tighten that pulley!!!

its not the timing belt assembly, its the pulley that the belt runs the alternator, and a couple others

Describe where its at. Is it kinda in the middle of everything, right below the timing cover? Is it at the bottom of the engine?

-Dallas J

if the 1.8l and 2.0l pulleys are similair all you really have to do is just tighten the 4 10mm bolts holding the pulley's on ;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back